The Poet’s Corner (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

The Poet’s Corner (page 3)

Scott AndersonTo Scott Anderson

It’s especially gratifying to reap two poems for the same photo!  From my visit to Sweetwater Wetlands:

Mallard and turtles.

Two turtles and a yoga-posed duck. / A sure sign of very good luck! / They were resting in reeds / Nibbling all kinds of seeds / From the swirl of the wet marshy muck.

Jen Grumby

A turtle should never bite a duck on the tail / For the wise duck will retaliate without fail / A web-footed kick / Will do the trick / And turtle's headache will make him cower and wail.

Gregory Garceau

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From a ride along The Harrison Greenway:

Another cactus wren. Interesting that the palo verde branch makes him look like he has a green lower mandible.

Oh, he of mandible green
Flashy spots cuz he likes to preen
He’s a Cactus Wren!
Who dines on cayenne
With a side of ripe tangerine.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From another ride around Tucson:

Pied-billed grebes. I wasn’t sure at first, because the bill isn’t striped. Apparently the stripe disappears outside of breeding season.

Them birds over there may seem tame
But they come with an insulting name
You damned pied billed grebe!
You swim like a dweeb!
And your short bill is so very lame! 

Jen Grumby

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From our first post of the new year we received TWO poems, including one from a new author, in a new format: a sestain!

I've seen your 2021 stats, / Forty-two miles a day & no flats,/ You've got to like, Every day on a bike, / Jealousy is driving me bats.

Gregory Garceau

We beg you remain devoted to the blog / It rained all day here, such a slog / When we can’t go riding ‘cause we’ll get soaked / Seeing your blog gets us really stoked / For now we live vicariously through you / While we wait for the day we see trails that are new

Kathleen Classen

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

our ride to Elgin spawned a Garceau Geyser: four poems, for for different photos, all from Mr. Garceau.  I refer you back to the post itself for the photos, but here are his poems.  Enough to fill a small volume:

Those of us from the north country knowThis flake is a huge monument to snowThe wagon's from MinnesotaOr maybe North DakotaSome heavenly place where the cold winds blow.

Oh, take me to the place named Flying Leap WinesPurveyors of intoxicating fruit from the vinesBut please make me stopBefore I get stopped by a copAnd I'm subjected to drunken-cycling fines.

A guy on a bike exclaimed "Yike, a shrike!"A tyke on a trike might like a shrike.A dude on a dike fishing for pike might like a shrike,And what if the shrike shrieked "I like Ike!"PSYCH!!!I'll end this song now with a drop of my mic.

He went in for a taste and he tasted,But before too long he was wasted,Then he couldn't pedal,And the wine didn't settle,Next, he was incarcer-asted. (sic)

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

from the post that inspired four poems from Greg, Ms. Grumby added a fifth:

With more patience, I’d have waited for a gust of wind to see what happens when the blades turn. Do you suppose he’ll ride it 360 degrees, like a Ferris wheel ride?

When the wind blows, the kestrel hops bladesSo quickly his shape blurs and fadesIf you squint tightly you'll seeHe's being chased by a flea!But he runs so fast that he evades.

Jen Grumby

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From our ride from Krapina to Varaždin:

After three mediocre meals in Krapina we’re happy to splurge at upscale Paladin Restaurant, only a block from our apartment. Note the very nice Pendleton shirt draped over the back of my chair.

A fine-looking shirt on your chair
Lost, but now found .. no despair!
A gift from your mom
to be worn with aplomb
And it's plaid, to add to its flair!

Jen Grumby

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From a loop ride in Zagorje

Small stands of apple trees are common here. Nothing of commercial scale, presumably just for home use. Also, a church on yonder ridge.

A church up on yonder ridge .. 
Just up over yonder bridge!  
Let’s ride up that hill
And buy beer to chill
Up in the yonder church fridge!

Jen Grumby

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

In honor of our arrival at our new Tucson casita:

Our home for the coming month, in the Hidden Barrio. Inviting!

Oh, to live like Rocky and Scott,Oh, to live the life they've got,Oh, to ride my bike in the desert,Oh, to ride til my legs hurt.

Oh, to fill my off-days the "usual way,"By reading a book and the news of the day,Oh, to move from casita to casita,Oh, to find a good taco and margarita.

Oh, to spend a month in the Hidden Barrio,Maybe sometime in the distant tomorrowio,With a bedroom and a kitchen so fine,With a front yard graced by an excellent sign.

Oh, to climb something named Sentinel Peak,Oh, to eat at restaurants so chic,Oh, to park myself under a saguaro, And dream of that distant tomorrow.

Gregory Garceau

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From a ride along Julian Wash:

A black phoebe in a thorny situation.

Ornithologists are a little dweeby
When they make puns about a phoebe
It can't help it was born
With a beak like a thorn
(No charge for this poem - - it’s a freebie.)

Gregory Garceau

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago