The Poet’s Corner - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

The Poet’s Corner

Scott Anderson

For quite a while now, Rocky and I have been fortunate enough to have received comments on some of the photos in our blogs that were composed as works of poetry - typically, limericks or haikus.  Creative and humorous, they’re starting to add up to enough to fill a small volume.  I thought I’d start posting them here as a collection, along with the associated photos.  There’s quite an inventory, so I’ll gradually go back and include older compositions as I find the time.

This is an open forum topic though, and all are welcome to add their own contributions to it.

To start off, there’s this recent photograph from our ride to Green Valley that was honored with two limericks: 

Standing guard, or waiting her turn? What’s your guess?

The cow waits her turn at the loo / A red loo with not a long queue / This cow's modest, you see / Out of view she must pee /Even if it's in a blue loo!   

Jen Grumby

That thing is taunting me with red / I wish I had horns on my head / 'Cuz I really want to ram it / But I'm not a bull, dammit / If I were, that thing would be dead. 

Gregory Garceau            

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Scott Anderson

from our ride to Marana:

We brake for ALL roadrunners. It’s become a matter of principle, so we can’t stop now. This one was amazingly bold, walking less then ten feet from me, flashing his tail feathers my way. Almost too late, I remembered I was supposed to take a video when I got a chance.

Gregory Garceau: 

• For a bird with a neck and tail that are gawky /It seems like the roadrunner is awfully cocky / Here it just basks in the sun / I wonder, "will it ever run?"/ It only WALKS in the video made by Rocky.
Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From my annual ride to bike my age in miles:

A Gambel’s quail, gamboling.

Jen Grumby:

• A gamboling Gambel's quail?! / Out gamboling amongst the kale / No money required / From this bird that's retired / Just a head feather with a tall tale.
Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From our ride to Arivaca Road:

A chipping sparrow, foraging in a layer of mesquite detritus. He looks just a bit punk with that Mohawk feather-do.

Jen Grumby: 

• A badass bird with mohawk / Ain’t chirpin' no tall poppycock / Head feathers stand high / With a gleam in his eye / He struts down the winding sidewalk.
Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From our ride on the Tucson Loop:

A bit later, and we rustle up a pair of vermillion flycatchers, certainly about the most flamboyant bird around these parts. This one is perched atop the goal post of a football field. With that black mask, it looks like a cartoon character.

Jen Grumby:

• A flamboyant bird with a mask / Catching flies is its task / Bright orange is its cape / Black mask tied at the nape / “A cartoon?", you may want to ask?
Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From our ride in Međimurje:

Bike and milk jug.

A man who rides with his milk
Is not a man of my ilk
He sings to his goat
Through the phlegm in his throat
And his trousers are made of fine silk!

Jen Grumby

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From Boulder City:

A great-tailed grackle, but a singular one. He has a deformed beak, like someone took a set of pliers and bent it.

There once was a scissor-beaked grackle
Who laughed from the tree at the jackal
With a mischievous eye
From a branch way up high
He let out a cacophonous cackle

Jen Grumby

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From San Luis Obispo:

Just outside of SLO, this is the Octagon Barn, built in 1906 by dairy farmers. Now an event venue.

If a round dance is done in a square / While eating a chocolate eclair / Then where's the square dance? / If we have a chance / To get off our round derrière?

Jen Grumby

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago

From our flight home from Bologna:

Sunrise over the Dolomites

Sunrise over the Dola-mites /  Not as good as the Yose-mites / Wishing I was in Tan-Zaynia / Or maybe Thighland / Or Minneanapolis, or Jeruzhulm.

Wherever I go, it'll be a Peninshula / With the Best Words and Nasty Women / Full of diversary, just like Missouria / Former home of U-licious D Grant

Ron Suchanek

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Scott Anderson

Ron, I can really appreciate your poem because I think I have heard many of those mis-pronunciations--especially when I lived in Michigan's Upper Peninshula.

I just realized that I'm not sure if my comment is going to Mr. Grumby or to Scott.  Perhaps I should have gone back and commented on Ron's poem which was originally written on Scott & Rocky's post about the flight home from Bologna.  I'm seriously confused.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago