Journal Comments - Seeking A Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part II: The Great Rivers South - CycleBlaze

From Seeking A Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part II: The Great Rivers South by George Hall

George Hall replied to a comment by Bill Shaneyfelt on a photo in Day 7 - Port Gibson (Isabella B&B) to Ridgeland, MS (Hampton Inn)

Sounds reasonable! Hopefully the deer know they are supposed to follow that pathway.

6 hours ago
Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Day 7 - Port Gibson (Isabella B&B) to Ridgeland, MS (Hampton Inn)

Likely a motion sensor on a deer pathway.

1 day ago
George Hall commented on a map in Day 6 - Natchez, MS (Day's Inn) to Port Gibson (Isabella B&B)

Thanks James! I'll have to look for that setting, I didn't know it existed.

1 day ago
James Fitch commented on a map in Day 6 - Natchez, MS (Day's Inn) to Port Gibson (Isabella B&B)

"Ride With GPS will not allow that routing because it isn't on a recognized road..."

I just switch from "follow roads" to "straight line" when I run into this kind of thing. RWGPS will let you do anything as a straight line. A series of very short straight lines with changing vectors becomes a curve, if needed.

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Day 5 - A Necessary Rest Day in Natchez, MS

I've noticed far less "roadkill" money in the past several years.

Kelly Iniguez commented on Day 3 - Baker, LA (Executive Inn) to Jackson, LA (Centenary Inn B&B)

I'm always sad when I have to leave nice lodging early, because of a long day the next day. Hopefully you have more desirable lodging in the future.

George Hall replied to a comment by Robert Lewis on How It Came To Be, & Why Do This Ride?

Robert - perhaps you judge me too quickly. On every tour I have been on I have met some wonderful people, kind people, and have been happy to discover that the country is populated with good folks (despite what you see in the news). I expect to meet people like that on this tour and will write about it. You are certainly a highly educated individual. But do you think your education is representative of the average person in Louisiana or Mississippi? I enjoyed meeting you and now that I'm past the New Orleans/Baton Rouge industrial region I'm enjoying cycling in Louisiana. Best of luck,

George Hall replied to a comment by Sue Schrag on a photo in Day 2 - Sorrento, LA (Cajun Village Cottages) to Baker, LA (Executive Inn)

Thanks Sue! I discovered sugar beets when bicycling past a pile of them in Germany, now I have discovered sugar cane (thanks to you) by cycling past it also.

Robert Lewis commented on How It Came To Be, & Why Do This Ride?

Enjoyed our conversation this morning. I made a beeline to the computer to see what your journal was all about, and I was quite pleased until I read your outlandish view of the people of these four states "that I could probably list this as a negative reason as well for riding". Why do you consider someone who has opposing political views from yours "uneducated"? You consider me uneducated? I'll put my education up against yours any day. On the way home from meeting you today I thought of the fun that I would have following you daily, but at the risk of being unilaterally dismissed as a worthless part of society, I will bid you a quick farewell. Knock yourself out with the trip, but preaching politics as part of a cycling journal makes you look pretty silly.

Anita Hall commented on Day 2 - Sorrento, LA (Cajun Village Cottages) to Baker, LA (Executive Inn)

Ahhhh, that gentleman at the convenience store made me cry. I knew you had it in you! The kids will think it's a hoot though!

Sue Schrag commented on a photo in Day 2 - Sorrento, LA (Cajun Village Cottages) to Baker, LA (Executive Inn)

Sugar cane!

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Day 1 - New Orleans (airport Holiday Inn Express) to Sorrento, LA (Cajun Village Cottages)

Not enough detail to be sure, but probably a great egret.

Great blue heron

Kelly Iniguez commented on Day 1 - New Orleans (airport Holiday Inn Express) to Sorrento, LA (Cajun Village Cottages)

Our daughter lived in Houma, LA for ten years. We toured several plantations while visiting. Your first photo of the cottages reminds me of the slave cabins at the plantations.

Good sleuthing job on lodging. I'm always happy with myself when I make a good find.

George Hall replied to a comment by Anita Hall on How It Came To Be, & Why Do This Ride?

OK wife, I'll quit whining. But I'd sure like to get past this cold/allergies/whatever real soon. Whatever it is, it ain't your fault!