To Canmore: the drive - An American Summer, 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2023

To Canmore: the drive

It’s not just the CB (chief blogger) who’s gotten behind due to social obligations.  The video crew is also backlogged, so we’re not ready yet to post the out and back ride we took to break up the drive to Canmore.  Really though, there were two halves to the day (which, actually is the normal number of halves to anything), noteworthy and different enough from each other to be worth posting separately.  So here’s half #1, the drive from Jasper to Saskachewan River Crossing.

It’s just a highway drive, but being as it’s a drive down the incomparable Icefields Parkway there are any number of reasons to stop and look.  We were fairly disciplined really, only stopping for the best of the best.  Still, that’s enough for a separate post.  There’s no reason to say more about it though.  It’s just a drive.

Athabasca Falls.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Athabasca Falls.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraOooooo... lovely.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Athabasca Falls.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Athabasca Falls.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A mountain goat.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Two mountain goats sharing a secret.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraKnock knock.
Who's there?
Goat.
Goat who?
Goat to the top of the mountain, and you'll see the most amazing view!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Patrick O'HaraCue crying trombone 🤣
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
A family.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A half of a porcupine, the upper half in this case. He was slowly walking across the highway ahead, holding up traffic. You’d have thought I’d have gotten a better shot than this, but it takes time to brake the car and stop on the shoulder. This is at least better than we did with the black bear a few miles later, which was a clean miss.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanIt's probably best to miss a shot of a porcupine.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The Endless Chain. The last time we saw this formation it was cold, windy and gloomy and we were racing ahead of the rain back to the car at Sunwapta Falls.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This spot high on the Athabasca is one of my favorite views along the parkway. I still picture it in my mind from the first time I saw it 35 years ago.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stuttfield Glacier.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A closer look.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I’m pretty sure this must be Mushroom Peak. Seems like an odd name for it though.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just some glacier.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another spot I couldn’t help stopping for, but it’s not the best. I’m just pulled off onto the shoulder lane and can’t be here long so I don’t even step out of the car. Rachael has her eyes closed hoping we don’t get rear ended. Here’s another situation where being here on a bike would be much better.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Big Bend, descending from Parker Ridge. The guys are just hanging out in the road, waiting for the rest of the gang to catch up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This isn’t that easy if you’re still new to the business. It might take a while.
Heart 2 Comment 0
How long?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not long.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraI can't believe all the wildlife sitings on your trip. Amazing!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago