To post, or not to post - An American Summer, 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2023

To post, or not to post

That is the question, alright.  It’s one that’s been nagging at me for awhile, wondering if we should take the summer off after maintaining a non-stop series of posts ever since we decided to sell our home over five years ago.  Posting ‘real’ tours are a no-brainer, but what about these interstices between them when there’s a fair amount of biking going on but it’s pretty arguable whether it fits anyone’s definition of a bike tour?

There are good arguments both ways, but one in favor of posting is that we aren’t really home since we don’t quite have one of those any more, so in one way of thinking about it we’re still on the road even though we’re in a longer stay situation at the moment.  Also, there’s the fact that neither one of us has a memory worth much of anything any more, and if we hope to remember much of where these next three months went we’d better write it down somewhere where we can find it.

And, there’s the fact that we anticipate more than one or two CycleBlaze meetups this summer, and we certainly want to be reporting on that.

And then there’s this sighting from yesterday on our first bike outing together, which for me settled the deal.  The quest continues!

#161: Osprey
Heart 11 Comment 4
marilyn swettNice pic! That is one wicked looking beak.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swettThis was really lucky, because he was just calmly perched on a wire near the road. I knew we’d be seeing one soon because they’re common here in the summer, but didn’t expect to get such a good shot.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kelly IniguezI'm happy you are continuing journaling - I have to give Jacinto the report each night what you are up to!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltPost tour posts are good!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

So that’s settled.  I don’t know how frequently we’ll tie up space here in the coming three months before we leave for Bilbao in September, but it will certainly be often enough to include any new birds that get listed.

And there’s today’s fun fact, which I realized I subconsciously knew but had never really thought about before.  Ospreys, which are of course fish-eating birds, have evolved a pretty remarkable adaptation to support their diet.  They have unusual feet - one of their toes is reversible and the soles are padded and barbed to help them get a grip.  Which is interesting, but the really fun fact is that they always fly the day’s catch head first because it’s more aerodynamic and reduces drag.  Once they’ve caught their prey they straighten it out to the correct orientation, something I’ll have to watch for the next time I see one haul a fish out of the Columbia.  Impressive feet, and an impressive feat!

____________________

2023 Bird List

     161. Osprey

Rate this entry's writing Heart 20
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Patrick O'HaraKeep on posting. Keep on truckn'!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonGood decision. We all need our regular TA posts!
Hope there was encouraging news at the doctor's.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTeaching us all how to be travellers all the time not just when "labelled" as travelling....tours don't need to be to far off places when we can travel our own backyards.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bruce LellmanYou get a pass, Scott. You have been journaling for five years and you can't leave us hanging at this point. Reading your ongoing journal while you are not necessarily on tour makes your journal more like a real journal and makes me think I'm reading one of Garrison Keillor's musings. It's like what John Lennon said, "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." Life is what is happening while you map out your next touring plans.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThat’s the plan. And you too! We’re getting anxious for your tour to start.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanPretty deep thoughts, Bruce. I think I need some coffee to help me get the most out of it.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveIt was a sigh of relief to discover this new journal after three days of a very disappointing search for a new entry in an Italian Spring. No you can’t keep us hanging - it would feel like losing a friend. TA is a part of my every day that I look forward to … wherever you are and whatever you’re doing. It’s a joy to read your writing and now it feels like I’m on life’s journey with you both.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveSuch a kind thing to say, Carolyn! Made my day.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Carolyn van HoeveI'm with Carolyn, who has expressed it well. But I must say I find it a relief not to have to post nightly during the half of the year that we are home. On the other hand not posting deprives one of a forum to look for sympathy when something goes awry. For example, Dodie just fell off a raised bed and sprained her thumb, making it impossible to ride her bike. I can only whine widely about it by sneaking it in here, otherwise restricted to close family and friends!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI hopeyou heal fast, Dodie! Thumbs are important!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Keith Adams(1 July 2023)

I'd gotten out of the habit of reading CycleBlaze due to a mid-June SCUBA trip to the Caribbean, but now that I'm home it's good to see that my more-or-less daily dose of living vicariously through The Ongoing Adventures of Team Anderson will still be available. Your journals are in the rarified air of "Among the Best I've Had the Pleasure of Reading". Keep 'em coming!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsHey, welcome back! I’ve never tried scuba diving, though we did some snorkeling in Belize on a kayak trip years go. Sounds like a wonderful escape.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago