In Revelstoke: Airport Way - An American Summer, 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2023

In Revelstoke: Airport Way

At times we’ll go for a few months without encountering or biking with anyone we know.  In that context, this four week road trip is turning into a social whirlwind for us.  Today we’re off on a bike ride with our new friend Betsy, who volunteered to show us some of the tamer local roads.  At nine we’re out in front of the Grizz waiting for her to bike in from her home a couple of miles away on the outskirts of town.

Rachael performs a brief equipment check while we wait.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Let’s get this show on the road!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Betsy knows I’m avoiding hills as much as possible, so she’s stitched together a decent length ride with minimal climbing.   The spine of the ride is an out and back south along the Columbia to the end of the road, but on the way through town she points out some highlights of the town too.   It’s a refreshing change to just be along for a ride and be able to enjoy the views, which are stunning.  Revelstoke is really a striking place, and Airport Way is a real prize with its lack of traffic and knockout views across Arrow lake.

It’s great having a local tour guide to show us around.  Thanks, Betsy!

Out Airport Way. From its name you’d envision a busy industrial strip, but it’s very quiet.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Betsy EvansIt was great to bike with you!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Looking across the broad grassy marsh adjacent to the airport. Much of this is planted in canary grass and rye for dust and erosion control.
Heart 4 Comment 0
North Arrow Lake, a slackwater broadening of the Columbia. I think there was originally a natural finger lake here, but it’s been enlarged and deepened by the huge Keenleyside Dam at Castlegar. Now, upper and lower Arrow Lakes constitute a 150 mile long reservoir stretching from Castlegar to Revelstoke.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Betsy EvansIt probably is a huge dam. But Mr. Keenleyside's name was Hugh :-) He was a diplomat and later the Chairman of BC Hydro.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Betsy EvansThis took me a minute. I kept looking for a misspelling or something. ha, ha.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Upper Arrow Lake, and Mount Macpherson. It’s so beautiful here! I’m sure it must be amazing throughout the year seeing it in different seasons and conditions.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A closer look at Mount Macpherson. I think the grassy marsh across the water is where we ended our walk yesterday.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Care for the Turtles! This is the home of one of the northernmost populations of the western painted turtle. They apparently cross the road here in the spring to find nesting sites in the hills. The NCC (Nature Conservency of Canada) offers these tips to help turtles make it safely across: • Move the turtle in the direction it was going, otherwise it will likely try to cross again.• For turtles that hide their heads in their shells (like western painted turtle), simply pick the turtle up, gently holding it with both hands, supporting its belly and holding the top of its shell (the way you might hold a hamburger), and carry it across the road. Carry it close to the ground – you don’t want to drop it.• Once you are done moving the turtle, back away and let the turtle be to avoid causing it stress.• Never push or shove turtles across the road with your feet or a stick. Their shells aren’t as thick underneath, and rough pavement can do a lot of damage.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraAn excellent Public Service Announcement, Scott!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The view back north.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pavement ends on Airport Way a mile or two before the road does, but the surface is still reasonable and worth riding.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back north.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No new birds today, but rusty trucks are always nice to see.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One is good, two is better.
Heart 2 Comment 0
End of the line. After riding north toward the Revelstoke Dam we turn back toward town for a last look at Mount Begbie.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Video sound track: Aeolian Tale, by Oregon

Heart 0 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraBeautiful photos. Revelstoke is a stunning part of our province. That ride looks a little lumpy.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 1,022 miles (1,645 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0