In beautiful Alcúdia - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

February 26, 2024

In beautiful Alcúdia

We’ve read for years about what a beautiful place Alcúdia and its surroundings is, and we’re quickly convinced of this when we look out at the sunrise.  We’re really pleased with our apartment here, and love having such an inspiring view to start the day with.

Heart 6 Comment 0

And we’re especially lucky to have such a fine view, because for the moment at least that’s all we’re going to see of this place.  Sadly, we’re both still sick - Rachael is probably worse today, and if I’m optimistic I think I’m marginally better but still in no shape to go anywhere.  Yesterday Rachael at least had enough energy and gumption to make two trips to the store, but today the closest either of us came to leaving the unit was when I took the bikes out on the balcony before our host came to check on our passports.  Activity pretty much consisted of reading, sleeping, snacking, sleeping, showering, and sleeping as we switched places between the couch and bedroom.

And, looking out the window watching conditions change as the day wore on.  In late morning there was the threat of rain, which eventually materialized strongly enough to pop out some umbrellas.

Pretty scary! And it’s chilly too. Who’d want to go biking in this anyway?
Heart 3 Comment 0

That passed though, and by midafternoon the sky started clearing and it looked idyllic out.  We’re nowhere near ready to step outside yet, but I took it as a good sign that I was at least tempted.

Looks perfect, and the wind has even died down!
Heart 5 Comment 0

By the end of the day though our spirits seem to be picking up some so maybe we are turning a corner.  I mentioned to Rachael that I was hopeful I might feel well enough to go out for lunch tomorrow, and she immediately started browsing for nearby cafes and restaurants.  So whether that actually happens or not, it seems promising that it caught her interest.

Regardless of that and of how quickly we recover though, it looks like we’re losing our chance to really explore this corner of the island.  Both of the next two days are due to be wet, cool and very windy - our host told us that after two straight months of perfect weather we’ve arrived just as the occasional foul period comes though.  No ride out to Cap de Formentor, no exploration of Pollenca or rides into the famous mountains.  At this point we’re just hoping health and conditions improve enough for when it’s time to move on to Sineu Friday.

So that’s a disappointment.  We’ve just gotten here, and already I’m thinking about whether a second, longer visit would be possible some year soon.  Always be dreaming, that’s my motto.

An interior view for a change. Change is good.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Steve Miller/GrampiesToo bad about you both feeling so sick. Hoping it is nothing more than rotten colds and another few days of rest will have you ready to ride.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
David MathersIf you can muster up a bit of energy cycle over to Port de Pollensa and have a meal at Tolo's. It has a great menu and lots of cycling memorabilia including Brad Wiggins 2012 time trial bike + TDF stuffed lions! Get well soon
Dave
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo David MathersThanks, Dave. Looks like a goal we could reasonably hope for. We’ll see how it goes.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kim JohnsonRough start to your trip. Hope you both get on the mend soon. Sounds like an amazing adventure you have planned! Have you guys been to Ireland before? I'm surprised you aren't including that in your plans.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott FenwickScott and Rachael, I feel your pain. Tough start to your tour. I am hoping that your health and weather take a turn for the better. We loved our time on Mallorca and look forward to reading about your experiences when you are back on the bikes. It is a place to ride (on a sunny day!).
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo David MathersWell we didn’t make it there but today I did a 7 mile walk and Scott did a short bike ride and we have a great lunch at a restaurant on the waterfront called Casa Villa!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
David MathersGlad you got out for a good walk and are starting to feel a little better. I'm looking forward to hearing about the south/east areas of Mallorca that we have not explored...yet. Take care!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo David MathersThanks, Dave. Nice to be back in the land of the living again.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago