Are we having fun yet? - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

February 24, 2024 to February 25, 2024

Are we having fun yet?

Well, no.  Not quite yet, even though we’re in beautiful Mallorca.  We’re still waiting for the magic to happen.

First though, a few more words about the flight that didn’t make it into the previous post.  First, there was the scare at the departure gate in Los Angeles when the agent was going to deny us boarding if we couldn’t show proof that we’d be leaving the Schengen Zone within 90 days.  It took us awhile to look up the booking for our ferry from Santander to England, and about as long for the agent to do the higher math and convince herself that there’s only 90 days between 2/23 and 5/20.  

It’s a good thing we arrived at the gate early enough, but it’s also a good thing that we had the booking.  Looking ahead, we don’t have bookings yet for when we leave England or for our flight back from Nice.  We probably should do that before we find ourselves in the same situation at another border crossing down the road.  Has anyone had this happen to them before?

And then there’s this shot I took of us on the endless walk from our arrival gate in LA to the international terminal.  Endless - it felt like at least a mile.  This would be a good spot for some moving sidewalks, whatever they’re called.  And there was one - for a whole 500’.

Endless. At the end of this long hall we round a corner and come to another just like it; and another, and another, and another.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Andrea BrownI've been in this hallway and it feels like a hell dystopian hallway that will lead you to your euthanization. And that flooring! Awful.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownDystopian is right! It feels like you’re in a nightmare. Enough reason to avoid this airport in the future.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonWe always avoid LAX. It is the worst airport experience I have ever had. I have similar photos of this hallway so I can compare in the mornings when I have had this nightmare. It goes on and on for years without LA doing any improvements!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Emily SharpHaha! Weird. I've flown through LAX almost every single year for 25 years from SYD or MEL (cheaper and better connections than SFO to DEN) and I have never been in that hallway. I would remember the flooring!

LAX has always been a hole but it is soooooo much better than it used to be. Tom Bradley's makeover makes the departures level okay these days. And now that you can walk between all the terminals behind security, you can escape the horrible food choices in some of the terminals by walking to another.

Hope you are both feeling better soon and back on the bike. You are a good example of why I still wear a mask on flights and public transport (even on the 15 hour flights)!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

So we made it to Barcelona on time and intact except for health, all set for the ferry to Alcúdia.  It’s not an ideal ferry schedule though - it departs at 10 PM and arrives at 5 AM, awkward times at both ends of the voyage.  In Barcelona, there’s the matter of what to do with ourselves until check-in at 9 PM, on a grey, chilly and windy day.  We’d thought we would do some sort of bicycle-based sight seeing and stop in a restaurant for a late lunch, but under the circumstances there’s no interest in that.  It’s too cold, I’m too sick, and a restaurant meal is out of the question.

So we fill in the hours as best we can.  We stay in our room until the noon checkout, and then move downstairs to the lobby and hang out there for about three hours.  Finally we decide it’s time to bike the ten miles to the ferry terminal.  It’s cold already, and if we wait any longer it will get chillier and windier with the chance of rain.  Really, it feels just as cold as back in Portland.

The ride is fine, on safe, well marked bike routes the whole way - but it’s good that it was no more than this because it takes pretty much all my energy as it is.  Barcelona has made great strides with its bike infrastructure since we first biked here over 25 years ago.  

We arrive at the departure terminal by the World Trade Center at about four, hoping we’ll be able to find someplace to hang out and keep warm for the next five hours.  The Belaeria terminal won’t open for a couple of hours, but fortunately there’s an espresso bar right next door that’s fine with us tying up a table for the next three hours for the price of a coffee, tea, and a croissant.  

I still feel rotten though.  As a measure of how poorly I’m doing, I can see clouds of gulls swirling around outside the window, but can’t summon the energy or enthusiasm to step out for a look.

Keeping as warm as possible at Salvatge Coffee, waiting for the ferry terminal to open.
Heart 3 Comment 4
Jacquie GaudetI remember you looking at our down jackets in Palermo. Al wore his every evening and I almost did the same, opting to leave it behind only on our final night in Sicily. Mine is definitely worth the 300 grams (less than 11 oz) in my pannier.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonHow awful to have to sit around freezing! What a start!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYes, it was miserable. And now I’m sick which is very rare for me.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonSo sorry to hear that! I hope your room is warm.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

At seven we moved on to the now-open terminal, collected our boarding passes, and waited for another two hours.   It’s not warm or particularly comfortable in the terminal, but this has all gone better than we imagined it might.

Two hours like this.
Heart 5 Comment 5
Suzanne GibsonWho took the picture?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraAwe. Poor Scott. To start a trip like this must really suck!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonNo fun, but really we were overdue. We haven’t had a start like this in almost 25 years, when I got sick the day we arrived in Krakow. Its one of the plusses of long tours - it will only spoil a small percent of the overall experience, hopefully.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonMe. Ten seconds was just long enough for me to get back and comfortable.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne GibsonThat is the first thing I thought, too, Suzanne!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

It’s an odd boarding arrangement I haven’t seen before: foot and bicycle passengers check in at this terminal, but the ship is actually some distance away at a different one, being loaded with cars and trucks.  At 9 two buses arrive to collect us foot travelers and drive us all together to the ship.  We all pile in, with folks fitting their luggage, bikes, surfboards and a well behaved dog wherever they can.  There’s a German couple with their tiny folded Bromptons down for some fun in the sun that we chat with, and an especially attractive younger couple returning home from their surfing break in the Bahamas (too hot, too expensive) that we enjoy an extended conversation with all the way to the ship.

More crowded than it looks here. We were lucky to be about the first to board and find a prime location for the bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The seven hour voyage felt nearly as difficult as that terrible flight from LA to Barcelona, but I think that’s just because we’re so worn down by it all now - and the fact that Rachael is sick now too, coughing and complaining of a sore throat.  Objectively though it was pretty reasonable, with us on comfortable recliners.  Unfortunately though, it was chilly again; and lying around getting chilled for seven hours is a pretty poor prescription for getting our health back.  Finally around 3 AM Rachael went to the cafeteria to get some hot tea to soothe her throat and warm herself up, and learned that they had lap blankets available for a deposit.  We each got one, and the last two hours were at least marginally better.

Seven hours like this.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonPretty bad alright, even if we weren’t sick. It could have been worse though - it was really just five hours like this, and another two with a thin lap blanket.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We’ve done well in finding lodging in Alcudia.  It’s an apartment we found on Airbnb, and for just 50€ more the host agreed to leave the unit unbooked the day before our arrival - so we could show up in the middle of the night and let ourselves in.  It’s quite cold when we disembark, but with sunrise still almost two hours away we of course aren’t waiting for it.  It’s a flat mile and a half to our apartment, and after the cold ride on the ship it’s almost better to be on the bike for a short ways.

Alcudia, 5 AM.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Checking ourselves in goes reasonably well, though it’s a little awkward getting our gear and bikes up to our fifth floor apartment in elevators so small we have to stand up the bikes.  And when we arrive neither of the HVAC’s works so it’s a chilly first night until we hear back from the host in the morning to check the circuit breakers.

Once the sun comes up and we can look out the window at our fantastic view, it’s obvious we’ve come to a special place.  Now if our health will just return so we can feel like doing something.  Not today though.  We’re here for five more nights, so there’s still time.

Our home for the next five nights. Hopefully we’ll be up to exploring the neighborhood soon.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Patrick O'HaraGet some rest you two!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraWe are definitely doing that. I’ve only been out to get groceries yesterday. Other than that, I’ve been sleeping a lot.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonThat's great to hear.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 12 miles (19 km)
Total: 12 miles (19 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Jacquie GaudetHere's hoping the Mallorca sunshine cures all ills!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonThings can only get better! Sorry you had such a rough start.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Betsy EvansI'm sorry you've had a rotten start to your trip. It's funny to read that you were lumped with the foot passengers on the way to the ferry. For the Sardinian ferries, cyclists get lumped with the drivers, who are mostly in giant trucks.

Enjoy Mallorca! I really liked the Sunday morning market in Pollensa. Well, I thought most of Mallorca was great, save for the few areas we saw that were full of lager louts.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetHere’s hoping the Mallorca sunshine materializes! The photo is a little misleading, because by midday it clouded over. We’re lined up for several days of heavy winds and scattered rain. This too shall pass, though.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. Hopefully we’ll both get our health back in a few days. In the meantime it looks too wet and windy to want to be out much anyway.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Betsy EvansLager louts! There’s a phrase I’ve never heard before. Must be a Canadian thing.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI think “lager lout” is a British expression. They have so many good ones!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveSo sorry about the very rough start to your trip. Sounds miserable and with everything conspiring against you to make it worse. But it can only get better from here! I was wondering if something was up when days went by without an entry. Hope you start feeling better soon and looking forward to following along
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonI never heard lager louts before, either. On Mallorca I'm sure they are mostly German lager louts. They are notorious. In German we call them "Bierleichen". Beer corpses. Gross.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bruce LellmanI'm sure things will get better. I'm sorry you had such a lousy start. But you survived! I would have had a hard time surviving what you two went through.

Good luck. REST and RECOVER.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanThanks, Bruce. We’re working hard on the Rest part. Hopefully the Recover half will kick in soon.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonGross, but very funny.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveThanks, Carolyn. It’s nice to have your support. Hopefully things will look up soon.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago