To Cáceres - Follow My Heart - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2024

To Cáceres

We had originally planned to cycle from Alburquerque to Cáceres in one day, a trip of about 44 miles. One of our reasons in splitting the trip into two days was the chance to visit the Natural Monument Los Barruecos, located a few miles south of the direct route to Cáceres. Described as a place with lakes & striking granite formations, with archaeological remains, plus grey herons & white storks, it seemed well worth a detour on a short day.

The weather had once again turned cloudy with predictions for rain today. We had a short ride to Cáceres, so looked carefully at the weather apps to see if there might be a rain-free window we could take advantage of. It looked like there would be clearing skies between 11-2, but by morning that window had shut and was predicted to be peak shower time! 

 We departed our wonderful La Tierra Roja about 10:45 on a chilly cloudy day – dressed in full rain gear hoping to ward off the rain gods. We were not successful – a steady rain began about halfway into the ride, a couple of miles outside Malpartida de Cáceres. We pulled into town and found a nice bar/café where they let me put Vivien George under the outdoor canopy. Hot coffee and warm tostadas helped ward off the chill during the worst of the downpour.

Preparing to leave La Tierra Roja - a wonderful place to stay if you ever find yourself in Aliseda
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sheep on a cloudy day
Heart 3 Comment 0
A crumbling tower on a pile of rocks
Heart 5 Comment 0
We knew we found a great spot to shelter from the storm when they insisted I put Vivien George in the outdoor canopy
Heart 4 Comment 0
And the bar/cafe even had a bicycle on ceiling
Heart 7 Comment 0
Waiting out the worst of the rain in Malpartida de Cáceres
Heart 5 Comment 0

The biggest downside to the storm was jeopardizing our trip to Los Barruecos. We discussed skipping the detour, but the sun poked through as we readied to depart our warm and dry café. Suzanne and I decided to take our chances with the weather and visit Los Barruecos while Janos went on to Cáceres. 

 Within the Los Barruecos National Monument, a network of small sand/dirt roads connects the small lakes and “striking granite formations” that Suzanne and I were keen to seen. However, cycling along these small roads was not advisable on this soggy day, so we stuck mainly to the paved surface. We passed a large stork wetland area harboring a score of nests and though we didn’t see the dramatic boulder formations that drew us to the spot, we had a nice quiet detour through a boulder-strewn landscape. It was well worth the detour.

The sun was out for most of the last ten miles to Cáceres, but the traffic got heavier as we neared the city. Suzanne spotted a Decathalon and we made another short detour to find her a new windbreaker, a bright yellow jacket which she immediately donned. We navigated our way through the city streets to our hotel located right on Plaza Mayor in the historical center of this medieval city originally founded by Romans.

We spotted some horses in the Los Barruecos National Monument
Heart 3 Comment 2
Susan CarpenterTo Rachael AndersonThanks!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
We also saw a small lake and a distant cow in the Los Barruecos National Monument
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Stork Wetland area
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThat’s a lot of storks. We had a first spotting of a stork yesterday right by where we are staying, it was great to finally see one!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Susan CarpenterTo Rachael AndersonI am completely enamored with storks. I’ve even seen some black storks!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
An interesting boulder formation
Heart 5 Comment 0
Blue sky, puffy clouds and sunshine as we headed toward Càceres
Heart 2 Comment 0
Decathalon stop for a new windbreaker for Suzanne
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hi-viz styling!
Heart 6 Comment 0

After a hot shower and a little rest, I ventured out for a little poke around the old town area of this UNESCO World Heritage City. I could have spent hours exploring the amazing cluster of historical sites, and certainly the city warrants a longer look. For now, I include some photos of this whirlwind excursion, apologize for the lack of identifying captions, and urge you to visit Cáceres for yourself. 

In Cáceres
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking over Plaza Major to the surrounding countryside
Heart 4 Comment 0
A trio of white domes
Heart 4 Comment 0
Crossing Plaza Major on the way to dinner
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 462 miles (744 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0