To Albuquerque - Follow My Heart - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2024

To Albuquerque

A Return to Spain

Today I returned to Spain and bid farewell to Portugal, at least for this tour. I met Suzanne and Janos at the square in Castelo de Vide and after a quick stop for provisions we were on our way. The route took us down to Portagem and followed Rio Sever to Porte Vehla, with frequent views of Marvão barely visible on this cloudy day. 

 Shortly after Porte Vehla, we made a spur-of-the moment route change, one that added a few miles but promised to be a bit less hilly. But there was no avoiding the hills, and at one point I was forced to walk up a short steep incline. We dropped down into the small town of Galegos, crossed a small bridge and rejoined our route into Spain. 

Janos, ready to head for Spain
Heart 7 Comment 0
A happy photographer/cyclist
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking a bit sheepish when I caught him on the wrong side of the fence
Heart 4 Comment 0
Marvão, perched atop a rocky crag of the Serra de São Mamede
Heart 3 Comment 0
Vivien George pleads "Not Guilty" to knocking over the potted plant
Heart 9 Comment 0
Small bridge across the Rio Sever in Portagem
Heart 11 Comment 0
In Portagem
Heart 5 Comment 0
Bracing for the uphill climb
Heart 2 Comment 0
A pause for a photo/rest on the climb up from Porte Vehla
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWow! You’re way up there!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne, using the full range of gears on the climb
Heart 3 Comment 0
Susan, using her feet on the climb
Heart 11 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’ve used that option a lot lately!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Susan CarpenterYou’ve had some hard climbs in rough surface - not fun riding or pushing!!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
A last look at Marvão
Heart 4 Comment 0

The road from Galegos to the Spanish border town of La Fontañera was magical – a narrow lane bordered by stone walls that gently wound up and across the border into Spain. Once in Spain, the road widened bit by bit, sweeping down through an open rocky, dolmen-rich landscape to Valencia de Alcántara where we stopped for Fanta and calamari. 

Crossing the border into Spain
Heart 6 Comment 0
The last mile in Portugal - or are we already in Spain?
Heart 7 Comment 3
Scott AndersonThis is such wonderful country. I’ll have to compare maps, but this road reminds me of our route from Valencia to Portalegre four years ago. Like you, the only reason we knew we’d crossed the border was because our Garmins told us so.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Susan CarpenterTo Scott AndersonI love roads like this, and crossing the border made it even more special
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterRegarding the fact that the border is unsigned there. Were in Olivenza tonight, and I was surprised to see it’s disputed territory. Portugal says it’s theirs, and Spain (which has jurisdiction) disagrees. As a result, the border near here at the Guadiana is unmarked. I wonder if there’s a similar situation there also?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Bienvenido a España
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bienvenida a España
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bienvenido a España
Heart 4 Comment 0
A rocky Spanish landscape
Heart 6 Comment 0
A lone poppy
Heart 5 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraNice shot, Susan!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Susan CarpenterTo Patrick O'HaraThanks Patrick
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Break time in Valencia de Alcántara
Heart 3 Comment 0
Life is good
Heart 9 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesOh those two …
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We rolled on to Alburquerque through an open landscape full of yellow and purple wildflowers, sheep, cattle, and storks – but few inhabitants. The road was wide, traffic was low, and though the day was cloudy there was no threat of rain. And the winds were light. I’ll take those conditions most any day. Alburquerque soon came into view, it’s castle appearing high on a rocky outcrop overlooking a vast expanse of land it once defended. The city grew up around the fortification and today remains a somewhat isolated outpost, but a convenient overnight for those cycling through this region of Extramadura.   

The colors of Spain - red and yellow
Heart 6 Comment 0
On the road to Alburquerque
Heart 6 Comment 0
On the road to Alburquerque
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the road to Alburquerque
Heart 3 Comment 0
Two cows, two trees, and an abundance of wildflowers
Heart 6 Comment 0
Approaching Alburquerque
Heart 6 Comment 0

Albuquerque is not what you would call a tourist hot spot. I had booked us into a three bedroom house that lacked a number of amenities, though our host Jorge was very kind. We knew that dinner service in Spain does not usually start until 9 pm, but nonetheless ventured into the town at 8 pm, hoping that one of the open restaurants would be serving food. The town center was alive with people – families, friends, children – all engaged in loud and lively conversation. Drinks could be had, but no food until 9 pm. After nursing our drinks for 45 minutes, we were seated at one of the few tables in a highly rated bar/café. Not quite understanding the portions of the various items on offer, we ordered a tremendous amount of food – 2 to 3 times more than what we needed. Unfortunately, the food was barely edible! We had a good laugh at our expense, realizing that we needed to make a few dining adjustments now that we were in Spain.

In Alburquerque
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Alburquerque
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sharing a good laugh at our expense
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just finished dinner, time for bed
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYup, I just compared maps. We took the same road between Valencia and Registo, going the other direction: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/iberia2019/portalegre/
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 413 miles (665 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonYou definitely should adjust what you do for meals! We can help when we meet up but the best thing is to do lunch as your main meal! Most restaurants serve lunch between 1 - 3:30 which is good as the weather gets warmer! We also look at restaurants and their reviews the day before and make a reservation ahead of time if possible. Today we had the most amazing meal and it was inexpensive.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago