[Oct 16] Day 5 - San Luis Obispo to Lompoc - Bicycling SF to LA on the Pacific Coast - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2023

[Oct 16] Day 5 - San Luis Obispo to Lompoc

Heart 0 Comment 0

Departed SLO in the morning which was very foggy. I want to emphasize that SLO has some of the best bike lanes / infrastructure that I’ve seen. Was able to get around with protected  highlighted lanes, cycle paths, etc.

Passed Pismo Beach but it was too cloudy to see anything so we kept going.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Stopped at a gas station for some snacks. I got a bit tired of eating granola bars and energy gels so picked up some Oreos, barbecue kettle chips, and Chex Mix.

Fuel
Heart 1 Comment 0

We passed a couple that were going the same route/direction as us. They were biking from Vancouver to San Diego (1,800 miles) along the Pacific Coast. They looked to be 60+ and sounded French Canadian. I’d like to do the north part of the Pacific Coast some time in the future too.

Vancouver to San Diego
Heart 2 Comment 0

The winds were supposed to be South/East but didn’t seem to help as much as yesterday. It was also quite warm on the final climbs of the day before descending into Lompoc.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Got lunch at the Cajun Kitchen Cafe. Corn muffins, pork chops, blackened catfish, and chocolate milk.

Cajun Kitchen Cafe
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rich FrasierI'm suddenly hungry.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Our waiter noticed the Insomniac Events bag tag construction vest and asked about it. I told her I used to work for them and the waiter passed it along to the younger restaurant worker who apparently goes to a lot of Insomniac music festivals.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Got Mexican food for dinner including a comically large burrito.

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was not as scenic as yesterday since we moved inland (mostly just farmland). But we’ll return to the Pacific Ocean tomorrow.

Overall difficulty: 3.5/5

Caffeine consumption: 50 mg

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 341 miles (549 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0