Vancouver to Bilbao - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2024 to May 3, 2024

Vancouver to Bilbao

I can’t remember starting a trip to Europe this late in the day. There’s always an overnight flight in the mix and this time, it’s the first one, YVR to AMS, scheduled for 17:50 and delayed to 18:20, with no first connection in Calgary, Toronto, or Montreal. 

So we had time this morning for a leisurely breakfast and no need to rush about. I like it this way!

Our taxi and Canada Line travel to YVR went smoothly, the airport was quiet, and check-in and security were fast and easy. Hoping the whole trip flows like this!

Our plane has arrived. Now to watch our Scouts and AirTags to check our bikes and bag get loaded.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Why are we leaving when thf weather is finally nice (and warm)?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraGreat shot and perspective on our beautiful city! I can almost pick our our place!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

The first, long flight was okay.  Even the food was pretty good for economy (I hear business class is better).  Unfortunately, the seats in front of us were occupied by a small child and her parents and, as soon as the cabin lights went down to encourage passengers to sleep, she started babbling and “singing” quite loudly.  She continued for hours, despite her parents’ attempts to shush her. I suspect, had they tried more forcefully, the result might have been a full-on tantrum and worse than the noises she was making, which were at least happy noises. Even so, neither Al nor I got more than about half an hour of sleep, nor did anyone else in our area of the plane unless they had effective earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones. 

Amsterdam Schiphol airport was efficient and two hours was more than enough time to make our connection. 

Finally, the last relatively short hop to Bilbao. We both had another nap, feeling very sleep-deprived by the time we arrived. Luckily the Bilbao airport is small and easy to navigate. The only non-obvious part is that “special luggage”, which includes bicycles, is brought to carousel 0, just to passengers’ right as you enter the baggage hall. 

The Vizkaya Bridge connects Getxo and Portugalete on opposite sides of the Nervión River. It looks so tiny from the air!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraGreat shot on your approach!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

After a short taxi ride to the hotel, we dropped our luggage and headed out for a walk, more to force our bodies to start adjusting to the 9-hour time change than anything else. We saw the Abando train station, the Decathlon, and several blocks of bars serving beer, wine, sangria, and other aperitifs to groups of locals. 

The famous stained glass wall of the Abando train station
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonHey, you’re just around the corner. We’re in Spain too! Let’s meet up for a coffee.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonYou can come to us! We’re in Bilbao until Monday morning.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetOn our way. We’ll let you know when we’re within a few hundred miles.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
David MathersWe’ll be in Madrid on Tuesday…Let’s have a meet up there 🤔 Looking forward to reading about your new adventure!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago