Day 9 - The “Hornless” Loop - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 15, 2024

Day 9 - The “Hornless” Loop

The day has arrived … time to join the Loop club!

We set out today with the intention of cycling the full loop but like most things, plans change.  Our 3 riding partners turned into 1 riding partner due to some mechanical issues with a trike.  So the 3 of us set forth for a counter clockwise spin around the loop.

A perfect day to ride the whole loop … minus the horn
Heart 3 Comment 0

The weather was perfect starting in the mid 50’s and topping out in the low 70’s.  We did encounter a fair amount of cycling traffic as we headed up the Harrison Greenway and continued on the Pantano Wash but everybody was quite respectful, even the road cycling trains that came along.  I know some folks don’t like the traffic but I find it refreshing that there are others out enjoying the riding as much as I do.  There is nowhere I know of in Alaska where you would see so many people enjoying the path.

Actual flowing water in the Rillito Wash
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we proceeded up the Rillito Wash, we actually saw flowing water in one small section of the wash.  Not sure where it started and after a few miles it simply disappeared.  So not sure where it went either.

Rillito Wash Mural
Heart 2 Comment 0

The ride around the top of the loop was on territory we had never cycled before and we noticed the crowds of trail users began to fade away leaving us with a nice zone of easy, non thinking kind of cycling.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Once headed down the Santa Cruz portion of the route, we decided to take an alternate route around the “horn” of the loop that passes by the VA center with its congestion, not real friendly cycling.  Instead we turned at St. Marys Street, crossed under I-10 and then rode east on the University Bike Blvd until we intersected with the Treat Street Bike Blvd.  The riding was easy, mostly traffic free, and we also toured through the university.  Rather than dodging occupants, we instead dodged around college students who don’t look left or right but straight down at the phones not realizing there are others out there.

Traffic lights for bikes … you would never find this in Alaska
Heart 1 Comment 0

The remained of the loop was on familiar pathways that we have traveled before and we soon found ourselves members of the Loop Club.  I guess now we need to start discovering the other connectors through the city so we can turn more streets blue on my master map or it might be time to start thinking about heading east to explore New Mexico and Texas for a bit.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 1,379 miles (2,219 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0