Day 8 - Oro Valley Out and Back - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 14, 2024

Day 8 - Oro Valley Out and Back

Happy Valentine’s Day … some buy flowers, some jewelry, some other things but we agreed an “experience” shared was the best gift of all … at least that’s what I think I heard on the topic.

We started today at the Mike Jacob Sports Park with the intent of riding the Oro Valley as it is a much talked about portion of the Loop.  Our original plan was to ride up the valley and then take some other roads back.  Half of that came true but we decided to simply ride back down the path and then head down towards Sweetwater Lake.

Today’s starting point …
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from ahead …
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we had heard, the Oro Valley is quite popular with all forms of cycling.  Lots of road bikes, usually in packs of 4-5, a fair number of e-bikes, and our favorite, about 12-15 recumbent trikes of all brands.  For the most part, the other riders were courteous and the road bikes were good about calling out.  The further we rode, though, the less traffic was present and the ride was quite enjoyable with the fantastic weather.

One of any crossings along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
North side of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Heart 2 Comment 0
Canada del Oro - Christina-Taylor Green Memorial River Park
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonGreat. Somehow I’ve never seen this one.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Larry MitchellNice break spot.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

During a short break at the Christina-Taylor Green Memorial River Park, we had a nice conversation with some other trikers and how the location of daughters and granddaughters plays a huge role in where you live and ride.  They had recently moved to Tucson as both of their daughters had moved there ahead of them and they consider themselves “sunbirds” versus the more common “snowbirds” we know.

Rudy’s BBQ for dinner … still thinking PedalPushin Wife makes a better brisket but I might be bias or it might be Valentine’s Day …
Heart 1 Comment 0

Not to be forgotten, we opted to go out on the town and ate BBQ at Rudy’s. The brisket was good and the atmosphere quiet … touristy.  So we added food to our Valentine’s Day experience and can now count ourselves in the more traditional Valentine’s Day crowd.

I remember that first mile of cycle touring … mine was on Trail Ridge Pass in Colorado, Lisa’s was in Lihue, Kauai. A lot of miles have passed under the wheels since then.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And because birding is now a Cycleblaze event, here’s a few shots from today.

A hummingbird … perhaps, maybe, I think
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltYes. Good call. Too bad it was so far away. Lots of hummers to choose from in the area!

https://www.tucsonhummingbirds.com/other-hummingbirds/
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonSeveral possibilities, but An a’s is by far the most likely.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Phainopepla … no idea how to pronounce that one
Heart 0 Comment 0
American Coot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great Tailed Grackle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grackle’s friend
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesLikely the female of the species.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Larry MitchellIt was Valentine’s Day
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Tomorrow we take on the full loop … as that is the thing you do when you are in Tucson.  I have, however, made a slight modification to route around the VA center zone … bad roads and few too many trail side occupants.

Heart 0 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezI was drawing a complete blank on Mike Jacobson Sports Center. Ah, ha! I used to stop at Ted Walker Park for the bathroom. It was always available. Then it was permanently closed. I cared enough to send a message on The Loop's website. The reply said that the copper pipes had been stolen and reopening was indefinite. I don't suppose you noticed if the bathroom is now open?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Kelly IniguezNot sure … I know at our start/stop point nothing was open. Guessing maybe during events.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 1,319 miles (2,123 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0