April 22 - 28 … The Snow is almost gone! - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2024 to April 28, 2024

April 22 - 28 … The Snow is almost gone!

Spring is in the air … new growth is just starting to show on the birch trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Spring sure is trying to make an appearance despite the fluctuating weather patterns.  At this time of year, if the winds come from the north, the temperature tends to drop 10 degrees whereas if the winds come from south, the temperature goes up 10 degrees.  I believe we went back and forth 3 times this week.

But the snow is mostly gone now, finally, and the spring/summer ride season is approaching quickly as riding outside, every day, is now the norm.  Mornings are still rather brisk with temperatures starting in the 30’s but early afternoon the weather has warmed enough to start getting in the miles.

We are also looking forward to the annual spring ride in Denali National Park as the park service opens the ride to cyclists a few weeks before the bus season begins.  We will have to see how that one goes as the Alaska Range still has quite a bit of snow but a lot can happen before May 15.

Looking north towards the Alaska Range and Denali National Park heading back towards Fairbanks.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Scott AndersonWow. I’ve never been up there to see this, but that’s really amazing.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kelly IniguezWe had a three day storm in Colorado this weekend. Happily, only rain at our elevation - but the mountains got over a foot of snow. You are correct, anything can happen with springtime in the mountains!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Karen PoretTo Scott AndersonMy husband’s bunk mate at Asilomar State Beach was a ranger in Denali for many years. Sadly we never ventured this far north to see them. Hi Walt and Candy! :)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

Today's ride: 201 miles (323 km)
Total: 3,546 miles (5,707 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0