Vitoria-Gasteiz to Bilbao - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2023

Vitoria-Gasteiz to Bilbao

The weather is changing

This morning was the first day in weeks that we experienced cloudy conditions. The very unusual long run of sun filled days is coming to an end. I am sure that as much as the local population has also enjoyed the extended summer, they know that rain is much needed and it is now in the forecast for this part of Spain. We cannot think of any  recent cycle tour that we have not had to contend with some wet weather for such a long stretch! Adapting and planning our days around the weather forecasts is just a reality of touring. It's great when you don't have to even think about it! Of course, you could ride in the rain, but it is just not very enjoyable.

Loading up and leaving the hotel on a cloudy morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were very surprised to find ourselves leaving Vitoria-Gasteiz  on  an old rail line! The path was paved, narrow and straight as an arrow. Then we remembered, the path that we came into the town on was also on a very long reclaimed railbed. Of course, we were now on a section of the cycle path that extended to the North of the city. It was a nice way to begin the day after leaving the busy streets of Vitoria-Gasteiz. Not far from the city limits we stopped at some benches in the sun and had our breakfast as we watched the cyclists go by.

Our ride today had two very different sections.  The first half was on a mix of quiet roads through rural land. The hills were rolling and there was a consistent upward grade as we began to enter a forested area. Just before the second half, we reached the town of Murgia. Leaving the town we began the second half of the ride that was basically a massive downhill stretch that last about 25kms to the town of Laudio.  Here, we caught a regional train to Bilbao.

Murgia is a small town with a cafe and a restaurant kitty corner to each other. The two establishment`s outdoor seating areas were  surrounded by a large children's play area full of interesting things for the kids to do. In addition, there were also some rainbow painted benches making it the activity hub of the town and busy it was! It was a great place to stop for a break.

Heading out of Vitoria-Gasteiz on the old rail line.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Straight and flat as the sun is coming out.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Not our road thankfully! But the picture does provide a good example of the terrain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many churches. Every small hamlet has one. They are beautifully built but you have to wonder how many people attend when the next one is often only 2-3 kms further down the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rolling hills in the country side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice single lane road at the top of a hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Quiet divided road heading down. It was an up and down first half of the ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Up again. Quite a few roadies were out on the roads today, too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Reaching Murgia where we had a coffee stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sort of like log rolling but you do not get wet when you fall off!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids and parents together in the adventure park at Murgia. It was very busy, perhaps because it was an extended long weekend after the national holiday.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This little park area was right beside the plaza and was perfect for our picnic lunch.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Leaving Murgia the clouds had thickened and we knew that the weather was changing. We also knew that from the elevation graph of our route we were expecting a prolonged downhill. It was in a forested area so it would be quite a bit cooler when we no longer had to pedal. An extra layer of clothing was necessary! The road was steep and fast with grades between 7-9% along the way. According to the Garmin record, Scott hit top speeds of almost 60 kph. We stopped our ride today at Laudio/Llodio because it had a direct regional train link for the final 20km to Bilboa. We did consider spending a night here but upon closer inspection, this industrial centre had little to offer overnight guests.

Our origin and destination on one post.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Top of the day and it was all downhill from here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Big downhill and bigger thumbs up!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Even bigger still. Way in the distance just to the left you can make out two riders.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A huge hats off to them as they went by. These two guys were not on electric bikes either! It would have been a tough ride in the other direction.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We must have been riding the old highway as we crisscrossed underneath this elevated monster (AP-68) a number of times. It must carry all the traffic as there were few cars on our road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Laudio, the whole side of a mountain has been mined for gravel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A closer look at the operation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And right across the street from the gravel operation is this beautiful stream.
Heart 3 Comment 0
and amazing kiwis growing!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looks to be an old Roman style bridge in Laudio, left to erode naturally.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Laudio/Llodio train station looks like something out of a fairy tale.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is much easier to navigate these things with someone that knows what they are doing!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Using an elevator from the street level, we made our way into the small train station and approached a lady at the ticket kiosk. We are guessing, but we think she may have been there to sell regional train tickets as she immediately got up and helped us navigate the automated ticket machine for the commuter train. No sooner were the tickets dispensed, than the  train arrived and we hoisted our bikes on board for the 25 minute ride. Looking out the window at the quite populated route we were glad to be on a train and not trying to navigate the roads.

Leaving the train station in Bilbao, it was just starting to rain and it quickly became obvious we were now in a big city with big city traffic! Our timing was perfect as reached our hotel and were still dry. 

Our train at the Bilbao station.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bilbao station has a beautiful stained glass window at one end.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A closer look.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The weather forecast will require some careful planning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoyed a cervesa under cover at our hotel looking out toward the street and the  Nervión that runs through the city. Afterwards, we found a nearby restaurant that would serve us dinner at 7pm! Scott had a delicious octopus dish  and Pat had a mussel salad. Yum!! It was dark when we returned to our hotel where we will be staying for he next three nights. Although rain is in the forecast, we are so looking forward to our stay in Bilbao.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 757 km (470 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David MathersGreat idea to take the train in๐Ÿ‘ When we cycled into Bilbao years ago we ended up on a very busy major road and it was intense!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago