In Bilbao Day Two - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2023

In Bilbao Day Two

Walking the town

Pat enjoys walking as part of her regular routine at home. Her fitbit keeps her steps score and today we reached 24K,  which is a pretty decent day! The population of Bilbao is over 330K so it's a good sized city.  The tourist area of Bilbao is also fairly large. We thought about doing some of it on our bikes but in the end decided it would be easiest to walk it. Although there are lots of bike lines,  it is a hilly city with lots of stairs that are not so convenient for bikes.

The day started off  cloudy and a bit cool so we used this as an excuse   as a bit of a reason to be slow off the mark.  With a tourist map in hand, we spent four hours wandering the various areas of Bilbao. We found Bilbao a great place to visit. There are many  ornately designed buildings built in the late 1800`s and early 1900's  as well as Bilbao’s Casco Viejo (old town) with its narrow streets to get lost in. Being Sunday, most shops were closed and so pedestrian traffic was quite light.

On a weather watch. Monday departure looks good and some dry periods everyday beyond. But being coastal, things are constantly changing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Zubizuri bridge. Zubizuri means “white bridge” in Basque. It was built in 1997 to accompany the Guggenheim development. It had an all glass tile surface that proved hazardous in Bilbao’s damp climate, earning it the unfortunate epithet “Bridge of Broken Legs”. There is now a non skid surface over the tiles.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI love this bridge. I didn’t realize I was risking life and limb on it though.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A picture of the Ayuntamiento De Bilbao (City Hall) from the opposite bank of the River Nervión.
Heart 3 Comment 1
KAREN JONESI just learned that word in Duolingo! ;-D
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The Sunday flower market was busy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Arriaga theatre from the late-19th century.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Detail from the top level.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cathedral of Santiago. The cathedral dates to the 15th century, however, the facade and tower were rebuilt in the 19th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The square in front of the cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Casco Viejo Bilbao.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Turn of the century wash station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No riding today but we found a park to keep our form.
Heart 5 Comment 0
An original chimney, as a sculpture in tribute to the old foundry. It is on the left bank where the factories making steel, smelting and shipbuilding were located.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The right bank in Bilbao where historically all the workers lived.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another hillside of Bibao. This picture shows where the Artxanda Funicular is located.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A unique collection of homes in Bilbao near a street named San Francisco. Reminded us of that city, too!
Heart 5 Comment 0
We were a bit outside the tourist area when we turned on to this local street and found it full of people. We thought that we might find some lunch but the people were only drinking beer. This seems common - lots of cervesas but not much food!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A neat mural on the side of a building for the climber in our family. She is the one at the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Teatro Campos Elíseos Antzokia. Amazing detail!
Heart 3 Comment 0
But it is just a saved façade and is now the home of a movie theatre. Really neat building actually and we saw a few of these redevelopments in Bilbao.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Palacio de la Diputacion
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fountain at Plaza Moyua.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Plaza de Federico Moyúa located in the heart of Bllbao.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the many streets radiating out from the Plaza Moyúa.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As you can see, Bilbao is an architecturally rich city. Our day was great fun seeing this wonderful place. I think I will leave it at that. Tomorrow we are back on the bikes and heading to the coast. Hopefully we will see you then.

Going home. Good night.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThat’s a lot of walking! Great photos of a wonderful place.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Barry DevlinWhat a nice city - worth taking a visit sometime.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago