Agen to Nérac - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2023

Agen to Nérac

Taking our time

In Agen, our host at  Relais des Iles chambres d'hôtes  asked if we would like breakfast as it was not included in the room charge. We will often  decline  breakfasts if they are not included as they can be fairly expensive and high quality food is readily available all over France. But the offering of an omelet and bacon synched the deal. Arriving at the breakfast room the next morning we found that we were the only guests. Our host quickly whipped up the omelet which was a nice change and very good start to the day. 

Our ride to Nérac was planned to be shorter than yesterday. Scott would like to think that it was just good planning to mix up the stage lengths over the days, which of course it is, but in reality  finding a room for the night is what really influences  route selection.  Finding places to stay in this region has been difficult. Many of the towns are small and there are not a lot of rooms available. Nérac looked to be (and it was!) an appealing place to stop for the night but unlike yesterday, thankfully, we did finish with some mileage left in our legs.

After quenching Scott`s multiple espresso habit, we gathered our things and quickly found the bike path that would lead us to Pont Canal d`Agen. We were quite excited about the prospect of cycling across the second longest canal bridge in France. A length of 539 metres. We rode our bikes very slowly to fully enjoy the experience but also because the sidewalks are shared with pedestrians. There are no barriers  to stop you from rolling right into the drink and it is noted to be 2.7 metres deep. It would not be easy to get out of the dirty looking water and certainly you would not recover the bike!

A great cyclepath takes you right up to Pont-canal d'Agen.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Canal latéral à la Garonne above and the Garonne River below.
Heart 8 Comment 0

Leaving the bridge we were again riding beside the canal on a fairly rough and bouncy asphalt strip. This greatly reduced  our speed as we passed by many fields of kiwis and apples. We were in no hurry and enjoyed riding side by side talking about the sights on this relatively vacant path. About 20kms into the ride, near the town of Feugarolles, our canal riding came to an end. We were ready for the change as we joined the road network and now began heading south and west toward the town of Vianne. The small fortified village was a perfect spot to stop and have a coffee.

Still great riding.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Massive field of kiwis getting watered.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI love kiwis!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A large haul of corn heading off to the silos.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking at the long, straight canal - looks like it goes to the end of the world!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Working on my bird photography. I think I just do not have the patience or am no where near stealthy enough for this. Heron - yes...maybe blue?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Deformed roadway. Shoulders dangerous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting a bit sketchy.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mike AylingThat is definitely deformed!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Time to leave the Canal de Garonne. It has been fun!
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Lavardac, we picked up the Eurovelo 3 designated cycle route and enjoyed the last half dozen kilometres on traffic free roads through the beautiful hilly country side.  It seemed to end all too quickly as we reached Nérac at 2:30 and most of the shops were closed for the afternoon. We sat on a bench in the town square and enjoyed the quiche we had bought at the patisserie in Vianne. 

The gates of Vianne.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Riding the cobbles is tough with the little wheels.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Inside the gates and the village church from the 12th century.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bike Fridays in Vianne.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We love finding patisserie shops in many of the towns that we pass through. The French know how to live right!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThey sure do!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Pat FenwickTo Rachael AndersonAlways grateful that we are riding and so these stops are guilt free!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Wall art.
Heart 4 Comment 0
EV3 cycle velo route.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bridge dates back to the 12th century and prior to that it was a roman route. In the 14th century the watermill was built to protect the bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pat on the bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Part of EV3 to Nérac - a wonderful ride and some hills!
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of the countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Nérac. The pink umbrellas are for breast cancer awareness.
Heart 4 Comment 0

 After checking into our hotel, regretfully a good part of the afternoon was spent sorting out hotel issues and creating bookings going forward. We were experiencing a huge problem providing a damage deposit for a hotel via their online system. It required that a credit card purchase verification code be sent via a phone message. We could not get this to work and found the wh0le experience very frustrating. With no way to solve the problem and past the cancellation date, it looks like another "discussion" with booking.com is coming.

Finally freed from the cycle tour housekeeping we headed out to see Nérac. The small town is split in half by the River Baïse. It is famous for once being home to the French royal family, specifically King George IV . We stayed on the busier west bank but at the end of September it is a sleepy town with mainly locals milling about. We wandered the streets looking at the buildings and the historic chateau before we joined the local crowd for a beer in the late afternoon sun. 

Nérac hôtel de ville.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Church across the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chateau Henry IV that attracts most visitors to Nerac. Only a part of the original chateau remains but it is a very impressive wing of the original castle, with a round tower and an arcaded balcony with decorative columns running along the first floor level.
Heart 2 Comment 0
La Taverne d'Henri. We love the way everyone can just take over the street leaving little room for any cars that try to go by.
Heart 5 Comment 1

Afterwards we had wonderful meal at L'art de Vivre. There were only two other tables occupied. On our way home, we stopped briefly at Passion Bière to chat about the burgeoning brewery scene in France and then called it another great day.

Poisson celon la péche.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tournedos de Canard.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tarte Pruneaux aux Amandes
Heart 3 Comment 0
Good night!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 179 km (111 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWow, you got to have an omelette for breakfast and then quiche later in the day!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago