Spectacular coastal riding on the west coast of Okinawa - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

December 23, 2023

Spectacular coastal riding on the west coast of Okinawa

Waiting out the bad weather near Motobu

We are getting pretty strong from riding through such heavy winds…often headwinds. And yes, we have tried going in the opposite direction, but  the headwind came with us. So no need to complain, just get on with it.

We are finding accomodation in this area to be quite different as most are like an apt with kitchen, living area, bedroom and laundry. This sounds good but we mostly prefer simplicity. It is probably better for the hotel as very little cleaning is done during your stay, the front desk is minimally staffed and you rarely see other guests or staff. We prefer a more welcoming environment and interaction.

The hot tub was a nice feature - and in Japanese Bathhouse style, you have a hand held shower before entering tub.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This small hotel is situated amongst large resort hotels. They have created an oasis here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful view from the roof garden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a good stay here. The family who run this place are delightful and accommodating. They found a creative way to bring our trikes inside and they were stored in the hallway outside our room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a lot of coral offshore and these glass bottomed boats offer half hour tours for 2000¥.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see these family plots often, sometimes on their own or with a large group, like a cemetery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will never tire of seeing beautiful tropical foliage and flowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are so accustomed to seeing (and finding humour in) these cartoon like and endearing creatures in Japan. We imagine we will miss this at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This focus to add joy to one’s day extend to road construction as well. Wherever road works are being carried out, barricades have been created with smile inducing characters as well.

A happy fellow on Okinawa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That sums it up. We love Okinawa too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The aquamarine colour of the water against the light colour of the sandy beach never gets old. It always makes us slow down and appreciate its beauty.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltThe aquamarine color of the ocean reminds me of Hawaii. :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry BartlettYes, we have that feeling too of Hawaii at times here.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Approaching one of mammoth resorts on the coast…it is nice to be here in the off season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving the resort behind…like the solitude of this beach more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How can you not smile when you see this happy fellow with his wee Santa hat on his head.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our ride was going so well..making good time. We stopped to go to a Michi for lunch when mary Ellen realized that she had left her Ortlieb handle bar bag behind. Oh no, that is where her passport, wallet are. Barry raced back 6 km and it was still sitting there. Thank goodness we are in Japan where the likelihood of someone taking it is quite low. 

While waiting for Barry, this woman came over to chat with me. We had a great visit. She was very interested in our travels and wanted to understand what it is like to cycle through Japan. It helped to distract me from worrying about the hassles we would have to replace my ID.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltThank goodness you had noticed your bag missing before you got too far away!! Glad your bag was still there!!! What a major relief!!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry BartlettDodged a bad situation there. Phew.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
We can now celebrate…Barry rode 12 km return, to retrieve my bag from a busy tourist area, and now we will have lunch at the Michi. Thanks Barry! Mary Ellen is having a set meal with Soba noodle soup and an Okinawa creation Taco Rice. This dish was created in response to American army guys wanting tacos…so this is it. A bed of rice topped with all the fixing of tacos. Tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we were crossing the bridge, we became aware of these young fellows out for a field trip of some kind. They became increasingly excited the closer we got. Their welcome and cries of Konichiwa and Hello were so enthusiastic.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Out of respect for Okinawa, we must stop and enjoy some of their home made ice cream. At least, that is what we told ourselves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Japan has such colourful and quirky ways to attract you to their business.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We chose the cone which has regular ice cream on the bottom and soft serve on top. Yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's an interesting way to have the ice cream - -with the regular ice cream scoop on the bottom and soft serve on the top! :) :) Ice cream places in the U.S. ought to try that combo! :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Wow, a bike lane. We will ride it for as long as it lasts. It was great, but it became a bit odd. The route was straight, but the creator of this route decided that it should have curves, so that entailed continues undulating curves. Odd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved this scene and the sky
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hibiscus blooms are covering the route…a result of the heavy winds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A screwpine tree with very ripe fruit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unfortunately, the fruit of this tree is not tasty for human consumption, but crabs and birds are known to eat it.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWell, at least the crabs and birds can enjoy the screw pine fruit! :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
We watched this and other groups of surfers in this area loving the waves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another slim sumo wrestler?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ship pictured below was at port the day we arrived here as well. This small cruise ship must do day trips in the area.

We are excited to be back in the area of Mutobu. We first saw Mutobu when we came to Okinawa by ferry. This was our first glimpse of Okinawa when we stopped at Mutobu Port on that trip. This coastline is familiar to us from that day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful sunset
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, interesting colors and clouds in that sunset!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,974 km (1,226 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0