Christmas in Japan - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

December 23, 2023

Christmas in Japan

Leading up to Christmas, we had a conundrum about where to stay. We  knew that the weather was going to be miserable with a forecast of 100% rain, all day.   Since we don’t have to worry about getting somewhere, our plan is to find a place just to hang out.  We were having trouble finding someplace and we found Yukurina Resort. It was ok and it provided us with the shelter we needed. We would have trouble recommending it as the beds were not good and the room was long and narrow, like a tunnel. The bed was quite unique …a board on the floor with a box spring and a thin piece of foam to sleep on.We would wake up with everything coming apart and our backs felt like they had been put through a wringer. On the plus side, we had a small kitchen. The weather didn’t help as the close quarters made us feel pretty trapped and its location was challenging atop a hill with nothing around. Oh well, two nights out of 90 is nothing to groan about. 

The lobby of the hotel. The lovely young man who checked us in offered a spot in the lobby to store our trikes. Thank you for that.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is Christmas morning and we’re checking out. The weather finally cleared and we went up to the roof top area for a look at the view. We had a great view from up there. Perhaps we would have been happier if we hadn’t been trapped inside for so long,
Heart 0 Comment 0
This massive luxury resort is at the bottom of the hill from where we were staying.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of IE Island from the rooftop patio of our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the past two nights.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While staying in this area the past few days, we decided that we would like to spend some time in Motobu for Christmas and also visit the Churaumi Aquarium. The waterfront is beautiful here.  We know that we want to move on from where we have been staying. We are going to try the Mahaina Wellness Okinawa Hotel, a grand old hotel that from the reviews is good but is showing its age. But aren’t we all…The price is unbeatable…a 40,sq m room with an ocean view, 2 swimming pools, an onsen and breakfast for $76. If we like it, we’ll book a second night. An easy day today ….ride a few km to the Aquarium and then a few more km along the waterfront to our hotel.

Heart 0 Comment 0
And this is where the other half resides. We freaked them out a bit. We rode our trikes in to take a look at the view and the workers were conferring on their walkIe talkies about how to cope with us. We finally made them understand that we were not going to park there, we just wanted to look at the view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A gorgeous orchid plant in the lobby.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWow, is that huge pink orchid plant real??
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry BartlettYes, even up close I had to touch it to be sure. Beautiful.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The resort has a lovely location and beachfront area.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now, on to the Aquarium. With the sun shining, it will be a good day for that. The aquarium is one of many attractions located at Expo Park, which is comprised of several acres on the waterfront. Mutobu hosted World Expo a number of years ago and these attractions remain. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

W

The grounds are beautiful and are a wonderful feature of this city. It is always busy with locals and visitors enjoying the facilities and many attractions. Due to the steep slope down to the water, escalators have been installed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entrance to the Aquarium is quite impressive.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We wondered what people do Christmas Day, and it seems that they like to go to the Aquarium. The crowds were massive.

We went to see the dolphin - actually false killer whales, and Santa was there helping out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dolphins, manatee and turtles are free for viewing as their enclosures are outside at the sea. There are a few times a day when the dolphins (false killer whales) are featured and if you are lucky, Santa helps out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Churaumi Okinawa Aquarium is the only facility in Japan that is successfully breeding false killer whales.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely hibiscus blooms
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The coral tanks were spectacular. We spent some time there, marvelling at the activity of the fish, the beauty of the coral and the different kinds of fish. This school of fish, the Orange Lined Cardinal Fish travel together in large numbers along with other types of fish which gives them protection, appearing to be larger fish. The male fish anre mouth brooders and they nurse eggs in their mouth. Their speedy movement through the coral is fascinating sting to watch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry captured the Oriental Flying Gurnard really well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this rather odd looking fish, the eye catching Unicorn fish, a type of surgeonfish, The horn like protrusion on the forehead of an adult is the longest among the surgeonfish. They are fished for eating, but if not fresh it gives off a distinctive odour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This handsome fish is the Humphead Wrasse. It inhabits the Coral reefs around Okinawa and can reach up to 6’ in length. It is also known as the Napoleon fish. When mature, the forehead forms a hump. They prey on sea urchins and crabs..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Various types of sea snakes from Okinawan waters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pacific Slopehead Parrot Fish is quite beautiful as its fluorescent colouring shines in the light.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tank is gigantic…the largest in the world at 7500 m3…10 metres deep, 35 metres wide and 27 metres long. It holds approximately 60 species. The depth of the acrylic panels is at least 2 feet deep.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The most impressive whale shark, the gentle giant of the seas. It is the largest species of fish, and can measure up to 36 feet in length. It is called Jimbe-Zane due to its skin pattern that looks like Janbei, a type of Japanese traditional clothing. It feeds on zoo plankton and krill. It feeds with suction and if a fish too large enters its mouth, it immediately repels it. The Churaumi Aquarium has done extensive research on a species of which little has been known about. They give birth to live young.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is wonderful to see clusters of smaller fish swimming directly below, or touching the Whale shark’s belly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved this image of the Manta swimming alongside a school of small fish. This massive tank is a fascinating place to spend time as there is such a variety of fish to watch and observe how some species interact. The Giant Manta and the Whale Shark are giants in this underwater world…both gentle giants. What a thrill to get a chance to see these creatures up close and watch them glide through the water and interact.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really liked the shape of this rock that has survived the force of the ocean and the elements.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waterfront below the aquarium.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were a variety of turtles in different pools…the Hawksbill, Green, Olive Ridley, Black and Loggerhead Turtle. 

Having a moment in the sun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We found the Aquarium to be an incredible place providing outstanding  habitats for most. However, two areas that we hope they will improve are the size of the tank for the manatee and a more naturalized environment with vegetation for the turtles.

Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great way to spend Christmas Day…spending time in such a beautiful location at an Aquarium of this standard. No pressures or expectations to manage…just enjoy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This Turtle art feature with flowers was quite striking.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well, we are so pleasantly surprised by our hotel, the Mahaina. It is lovely. It is so much more than just a building with expansive grounds, pretty pool area and plenty of space to relax. Every room has an ocean view and a large balcony. We decided to stay a second night. Once we did the booking, we went down to tell the front desk and asked to stay in the same room. This led to the fellow disappearing for several minutes. He returned and said that we had to move as our room was already booked. It turns out that the room we booked on Booking should not have been available. But he reassured us that we were going to be moved to the top floor to one of their best rooms. I asked if we could move now rather than being without a room for a few hours tomorrow. He disappeared again for some time. The result was amazing….he smiled and said…yes, you may move now and we want to provide you with a cake and beverages for the trouble you have had. We were amazed, especially when he reduced the price significantly. 

The view from our first room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Next to the hotel is an area where cafes share a space. It was great…something for everyone. Barry had a traditional Ryukun meal which he really enjoyed. The dish in the middle is a stir fry. The green vegetable is called Goya, also known as Okinawan bitter melon and is notably bitter, almost inedible. It must be eaten when it is young and fresh. The dish is called Goya Chanpuru (stir fried bitter gourd). It is cooked with tofu, eggs, bitter lemon and spam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The seaweed grapes were tasty and crunchy.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting - never heard of seaweed grapes!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry was very happy to have one of his favourites…vinegared seaweed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We both chose our meal from this cafe. Mary Ellen had a taco rice set meal. Taco rice was created by an Okinawa chef who was frequently asked for tacos by American service people. He came up with this dish…a bed of rice with a taco concoction on top.Tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hotel feels a bit like being on a cruise ship or resort…lots of entertainment like this young woman who is a juggler (very popular with the young families) and good facilities like 2 pools and an onsen, a bar with entertainment and a huge restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hotel is nice.y decorated for Christmas and they have teddy bears everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The owner was walking around offering children balloon creations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went to our new room and were so surprised by how wonderful it was. Nicely decorated for Christmas, a killer view, comfy furniture to spend time and relax.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice they decorated the hotel room for Christmas! I've never seen that done in a hotel before!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry BartlettYes, a surprise like that made it magical for us…and then chocolate cake too!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Our wee Christmas tree and the decorations have made our room homey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christmas swans on our bed.
Heart 3 Comment 0

A

Our doorbell rang at 7 pm as promised. The fellow from reception brought us this yummy cake and Okinawan beer highball beverages. The cake was delicious…but the beer, not so much. Acerola is an ingredient we will avoid henceforth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view of the hotel pool and the ocean in the darkness beyond.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back from dinner, this pig was in front of a restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Merry Christmas from the lobby of our hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our trikes are parked undercover near this sign. The Shisa’s on either side of the sign will, according to local belief, protect and keep them safe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Eva WaltersThank you for your most interesting journal. I love all the photos and detailed descriptions of the food. Your travels in Okinawa reminded me of the book "The Okinawa Program" written in 2001. At that time Okinawans were considered the healthiest, longest-lived population in the world because of their diet, exercise and lifestyle practices. I wonder if that is still true. Happy Boxing Day!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry BartlettFrom our observations, it feels like that is true today, but I can’t be sure. We are consistently amazed at their fortitude, determination to keep moving and healthy lifestyle/food. I have knee issues and sometimes I use walking sticks if there are a lot of stairs or it’s just a bad day. I feel conspicuous as you rarely see even the most elderly relying on mobility aids. Eating mostly local food and regularly going to the public bath has certainly helped us. Appreciate your comments.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago