Another day in paradise - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

December 26, 2023

Another day in paradise

Mahaina Hotel

Since we have a second night here, today is a bonus day at the hotel. We aren’t riding anywhere and we will relax and enjoy the amenities of the hotel and its onsen. We both have been feeling tired and look forward to a quiet day. But first, we will visit the dining room for a breakfast buffet. The hotel is full of families and everybody needs to eat. The staff are amazing and somehow their team manage to deal with the huge number of people…and the food keeps on coming.

This wonderful creature greets you as you enter the restaurant. It is like a Shisa…protector and greeter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local artist pictured here, has created artwork of the Aquarium which are throughout the restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Katsuobushi….….it is skipjack tuna that has been simmered, smoked for up to a month and fermented. It is then left to dry until it resembles a piece of wood. These shaved pieces and kombu kelp form the base for soups like miso and sauces.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are a bit overwhelmed by choice. This huge buffet area is filled with different stations and countless offerings. The problem is that it all looks amazing. The food is presented in an attractive setting. Very nice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fresh toppings for salad, plain yogurt with fruit toppings and a wall of hot dishes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poached egg on smoked salmon and topped with hollandaise sauce.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Different broths are ready for you to add many ingredients to your soup.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Breakfast at Mahaina Hotel is one of the better ones we have experienced. The choice was vast and everything looked and tasted so good. The seating was over 3 floors, including a table by the pool. Somehow, the staff kept it running efficiently, the chefs kept up with demand and as guests, we never felt overwhelmed. We really enjoyed it. 

A small walk small walk is in order after breakfast. It is a beautiful day to be outside by the pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bartlett’s have successfully done a selfie.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mahaina is a grand old hotel with such comfy common areas and beautiful outdoor areas. We find this creates a more sociable environment where people are mingling and make it feel festive. This is unlike the trend we see in modern hotels where efficient streamlined spaces make your room the place where you spend the bulk of your time and rarely interacting with others.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don’t understand the appeal, but spam is very popular here. Often, it is the chef’s choice in a dish requiring pork to substitute spam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been riding route 58.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from room #2….our Christmas room on the top floor!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking at the hills of the main island with a bridge crossing the bay. This was our route when we rode from the south.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Sesoko Island bridge, fishing nets and the main island south of here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such a beautiful view. We don’t understand how we got such a great room, but we are certainly enjoying the room and the view.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Below are more views of the skyline and bridge of Sesoko Island from our room.

Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Sesoko Island with its bridge connecting to the main Island, fishing nets plus the hills and coast of the main island south.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not a clear shot, but too beautiful not to share.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Darkness is approaching…the last few shots…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good night Sesoko Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have headed back to the “cafe village” next to the hotel and are trying a Japanese seafood restaurant tonight, starting with a local beer from Nago, Orion beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry ordered a sashimi board ….. he was very happy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sashimi was delicious. Barry wasn’t always sure what kind of fish he was eating but it was an adventure in eating.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Umibodou- sea grapes is a seaweed that pops on your tongue. You dip them in a mixture of soy sauce and vinegar
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen chose a set meal featuring tasty Okinawan chicken, called Nanban which is cooked with black vinegar and a local type of tartar sauce.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We really liked this restaurant…informal with great food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like Conveyor Belt sushi restaurants, you enter your order on this ipad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The love of Spam extends to clothing and underwear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Of course we had to take a photo of this cat riding his bicycle with lemon and orange on board….the ingredients of this beverage.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This one is not coming home with us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Greeted by the Shisa at the hotel when we returned. It has been a relaxing, great day to remember.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0