Heading out to a small island for a few days - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

December 27, 2023

Heading out to a small island for a few days

Yagaji Island

We have had a wonderful time here. It is hard to believe we were only here for 2 nights. Multiple trips to the onsen, enjoying the area the food and the grounds here, plus the upgraded Christmas decorated room gave us an incredible Christmas to remember.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neglected to mention that while Barry was eating his sashimi dinner last evening, the front tooth broke off, again. The same thing happened just before Nagasaki, about a month ago. A dentist used a compound and fixed it, temporarily, but it didn’t last long. Sadly this happened on our spring trip as well to the same tooth. A visit to his dentist will be our first priority when we get home.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our destination today is north to Yagaji Island where we have booked accomodation for 2 nights. Once again, the weather is making our choices for us as inclement weather is forecast for the next few days. We had hoped to camp on Okinawa, but it has been pretty cold at night coupled with the winds and rain.
We have found an area 6 km south of here with several dentists in the same neighbourhood. We’ll first try to get Barry help, and then we’ll turn around and head north. Anyway, we struck out finding a dentist who could help Barry, so off we go north heading towards the accommodation we have booked.

This building, resembling the Tower of Babel is at the Tropical Dream Centre, a botanical garden that is close to the aquarium. The tower offers an excellent…you can walk (and count the stairs) or take an elevator.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the ride, which is never difficult when there are palm trees, acquamarine water and beaches.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The coastline is so beautiful and changeable with the weather. Today is just right. For now, we are enjoying a wind free ride. Yeah.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Couldn’t resist taking a photo of this fish who is advertising an Aquarium store.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Bise Fukugi Forest Road is a village famous for its Fukugi trees.  There are about 230 homes in this village which dates back over 400 years. To protect the land, the forest and its people from heavy winds and typhoons, these trees were planted over 250 years ago in a grid like formation with a Feng Shui philosophy. The oldest trees still standing are 300 years old. Today, they stand tall and have protected their village well.

The classic look here are these evergreen tropical trees, the Fukugi, also known as the Garcinia tree, lining the white sand roads. At times the trees touch overhead and seem to be entwined.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roots above ground are a fascinating sight, revealing the centuries of growth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are 20,000 Fulugi trees in the village, 230 homes and 70% of the homes are protected by these trees. Due to the high threat of typhoon in Okinawa, these trees are used for other villages. During the 2nd World war, many trees were damaged or were cut down for rebuilding effort post war.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This grizzled old guy was not bothered nor afraid of me. He just wasn’t interested. Poor guy has had a rugged life by the looks of him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
When this village was built, it surrounded this shrine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As with most things, there can be a downside. These trees give off an unpleasant odour and are a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is fascinating to ride around this village. Many people come to visit and they walk or rent bikes. We felt very welcome to ride anywhere regardless of how narrow the road might be. We followed one road out to the sea where there is a lovely walkway along the edge of the village.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watched this man working around stakes sticking up out of the water. We could hear the banging from a distance as he was pounding in the stakes. He is harvesting Oasa or sea lettuce, an important sea vegetable cultivated here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have also learned that the brown seaweed that occurs naturally in Okinawa is cultivated here. This is called Mozoku and is considered a super food. We love it and it is featured in our favourite, vinegared seaweed
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical scene along a shore where tourism is not the attraction.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fishing as a business and as a personal passion is an important part of life in Japan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fish nets drying on the racks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many fish nets…fishing is a regular source of income and food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
IE Island is in the background with its distinctive peak in the middle. It is called Castle/Fortress Mountain. This is not volcanic, it is just an unusual rock formation, 565’ tall. There is a staircase with handrails carved into the rock to its peak.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding along the edge of the village. You can see the Fukuji trees reaching out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Have discovered that if you ride too close to this plant, that it will hurt. One got caught in my handlebar and then it slapped me…ouch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still working…much to do.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path will be ending soon..the lighthouse marks the end of the village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wonderful rock formations sculpted by the forces of nature and the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watched people snorkelling and scuba diving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is good to see a healthy, well fed cat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A whimsical scene in a driveway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading back through the village..a fascinating place to visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fascinating and magical. We are glad we are not here in mosquito season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not bothered, just curious…a lovely cat.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltA happy cat! :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
This cat knows how to hold his place…it sees people like us come and go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are mystified why there are lights suspended over these plants…we also don’t know what the plants are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the field with lights strung across the rows of plants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Throughout Okinawa, we have seen large tombs alongside the road. They resemble small houses with a porch and a courtyard. The cremated remains are put in an urn and taken to the family tomb. Twice a year, prayers and offerings are made by the descendants. Offerings are made of rice, water and sake. These gatherings can be very large as it is important for families to come together for this. Other tombs can resemble a turtle in shape.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were entranced by the creativity to create this group of people on bikes in this park. Humorous and well done.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at a grocery store to get provisions for the next few days. We saw these woven straw pieces for sale that are important to have for the New Year.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have made good time and have arrived at our destination in the afternoon. We are staying at Stay Hotel, situated on the beach in the small village of Sumuide. We have a comfortable room with a balcony looking to the sea. A  good place for the next few days. 

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,016 km (1,252 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0