Island stay - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

Island stay

Being islanders living  on Saltspring Island, we understand the reality of being reliant on ferries as a lifestyle. We were curious what the island communities of Yaguji and Kouri would be like as they are connected to the main island of Okinawa and each other with bridges. We are staying on Yagujijima (Yaguji Island) for 2 nights. Indications are that tomorrow’s forecast is for 100% rain, so we decided it would be good to resume being islanders for a few days …while also being comfortable and dry.  As the important 3 day holiday for the New Year is getting closer, so too the prices are rising. We were pleased to find Stay Hotel which gives us the opportunity to self cater and relax, island style.

The Stay Hotel offers 3 units and the owners live on the top floor. Our spacious unit had a sense of style with unique details. We also like the view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved the colourful warmth of the tropical mural and the design touches which made our space feel unique and appealing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice touch having slats at the foot of the bed through which we could enjoy the view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The concrete design, including the counter, made it feel quite modern and spacious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view in the distance is Kouri Island which is connected to this island with a 1950m bridge (longer than the length of Kouri Island). We plan to ride over for a tour either tomorrow (if the weather is good) or when we leave.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s funny, we were debating what kind of bird was on the birdhouse…finally concluded that it is not real.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many rocky mini islets off shore. Being sub tropical, they are covered with dense growth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fishing is integral to life in Okinawa, as your livelihood or as a pastime. A small fishing boat is heading out.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As usual, the weather  predictions for our full day here, we’re 100% right. It indeed did rain most of the day. Plus, for Okinawa, it has been cold on these days.We spent much of the  day inside, reading and enjoying the space. We ventured out later to get some supplies at the local shop…a fellow had just delivered some of the day’s catch.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We are hoping that the weather will clear well enough for us to have a ride to Kouri Island and sightsee. It has been a bit of a juggling act lately dodging cold, windy weather and rain. As New Year is on approaching and knowing that everything will be closed from New Years Eve through Jan 3rd we have booked a hotel for those days. Thankfully Convenience Stores will be open.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0