Exploring Kouri Island - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

Exploring Kouri Island

We have enjoyed being laid back islanders for a few days. We love the quiet and solitude one can find in places like this. Granted the weather made seeking out activity not very desirable but we are doing just fine. Indeed, being in Japan on an island, life is good.

The beach which is a short stroll from our room. Lots of shells and pieces of coral on the beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We thought that there must be a Swedish connection due to the Umlaut over the ‘a’ in Stay Hotel. This was confirmed by the Welcome (Valkommen) in the lobby and meeting Kristof, one of the owners.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kristof and Yuki, our hosts at Stay Hotel. We have appreciated your hospitality.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We enjoy exploring the port in these coastal communities. Yagaji’s port is not huge but active with local fishers. Huge fishing nets are spread out, drying on the cement.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We really liked this mural on a building.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Due to a very rainy day yesterday, we didn’t ride to Kourijima to explore. Glad we waited as it is a nice day today. This small island of Yagaji where we have stayed for 2 nights, has three bridges, 2  connecting it to the main island and 1 bridge to Kourijima. Island.   A hospital for people suffering from leprosy was established on the island in 1938.  Currently there are about 300 patients at the facility.
We arrived on Yagaji Island via Warumi bridge and today we will be riding the impressive 2 km bridge to Kouri. Astonishingly, the bridge is longer than the island. When this bridge was built, there were massive line ups of Okinawans waiting their turn to drive over the bridge and explore this small, beautiful island.

As we approached the bridge to Kourijima, tour buses on day trips had made a stop for the passengers to explore the beach before heading over.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tourism is big business here. There are 2 of these ships which offer excursions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful islet covered with dense growth is just offshore from Yagaji Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of Kouri Island and its lovely beaches from the bridge. This island has been recommended by locals. It is quite small, round in shape, about 4 km to ride round and apart from this coastal village, most islanders live higher up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost there…we will visit the lookout, Ocean Tower after we do a tour of the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fellow Canadians, Doug and June from Winnipeg, but now living in Tokyo, came over to check out our trikes. Small world.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A small shrine along the road. Note the bamboo decoration with pine branches by the step. Called Kadomatsu, or Gate Pine, these are a common sight after Christmas at the front door or gate of homes, businesses and buildings. They will remain there until Jan 7 at which time they will be burned. Kadomatsu are intended to welcome and be a temporary home for ancient ancestral spirits.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the beauty of Kouri Islands coastline and aquamarine waters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It perhaps goes without saying, but the sea is an important part of everyday life here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have really enjoyed riding around Kourijima.  It is charming, laid back and a jungle paradise. We hope islanders are content with the increased car traffic since the bridge was built. We can see that it is a boost for the economy here with accomodation for tourists and cafes.

We have arrived at Ocean Tower. They have come up with a unique way to get visitors to the facility which would be a bit of a climb. As part of the price of admission, self propelled carts are provided that take you on a winding uphill route through tropical vegetation with taped narration about what you are seeing and info about the island. A charming experience.

Part of the route we will be taking up to Ocean Tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ride is really fun, informative and gives access to beautiful vistas. The fun was contaigous as we watched people of all ages smiling at being driven by an automated cart.
Heart 2 Comment 0
First attraction at the Tower is the Shell Museum. There is an extraordinary collection of shells from this area and around the world. Halliotis Sorrenseni is white abalone and is sadly an endangered species in the United States.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This collection of shells was quite beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved the teal coloured shells…
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were surprised by the Shell Museum. There is a vast and incredible display of shells from around the world. It was very interesting and informative.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltDefinitely a unique museum! :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Extraordinary collection of nautilus macromphalus, also known as bellybutton nautilus. Sizes ranging from the palm of your hand to more than a foot in width.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The Shell Museum was a surprise to us. There is a significant collection here. It was very interesting and informative.

Heart 0 Comment 1
We went to the top of the tower for an excellent view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The impressive bridge connecting Kourijima and Yagajijima.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking at Yagaji Island…our accomodation was left of the bridge (which goes to the island’s port).
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next area we visited was a bit like a Michi-no-eki, showcasing local products. We really loved it as we were treated to free samples.

First sample was this treat filled with pumpkin paste called Cabonee. Delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sweets available to purchase are produced on site
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pineapples are a big business here…we liked everything we tried including their version of pineapple pie.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locally made Awamori. It is an alcoholic beverage unique to Okinawa. It is made from long grain indica rice imported from Thailand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cart that took us up to the Tower building, and later returned us to the the entrance are. A great idea…fun and informative.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Once we got back on Yagaji we then rode the length of the island, and took the third bridge which was short in length, but connected Yagaji to Omima island and the main island. We stopped at a Family Mart for ice cream and coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With New Years approaching we decided to book accommodation in Nago City for a few days. Nago is a coastal city of about 60,000 residents. After checking in to our hotel we went to a grocery store and bought some delicious sushi. On the left is tuna and on the right is Red Sea bream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who can resist a brew of Lucky Cat?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 2,051 km (1,274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesHey as laid back islanders have you nevertheless been following the coverage of the earthquake and the airport collision and fire?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry BartlettIndeed. It was pretty stressful. Barry had gone to the store and I was in our hotel room. Suddenly from the TV there were very loud alarm sounds with a Japanese voice speaking fast and urgently. The screen showed a map and there were highlighted warnings. I couldn’t figure out where or what the problem was. Used google translate to read the warning signs….RUN! EVACUATE!! Every channel had coverage…all regular programming was preempted. At first I thought the danger was where we are, but I finally figured it out.
Like the rest of Japan, we were glued to the tv watching it happen. For us, it really hit home as we had cycled in much of this area on our previous trip in the spring. Hearing the names of villages and cities we had spent time in really made us feel sad for what they were facing.
The next day, there was much relief that the tsunami did not reach the level feared, but saw much devastation. The relatively low number of loss of life is a testament to Japan’s building codes and their earthquake preparedness. We, in BC, could learn from them.
And then, the plane in flames at Haneda airport in Tokyo. A full on couple of days here in Japan.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago