Beautiful coastal ride with a headwind 55 km+ - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

December 22, 2023

Beautiful coastal ride with a headwind 55 km+

It is always good to depart from a place with mixed feelings. It is a combination of loving where you have been with excitement and anticipation for where the day may bring you.  We have loved staying at EM Wellness Hotel, we have made indelible memories,  yet it feels good to  roll out on our trikes eager to explore the unknown.

Here we are with the crew from the cafe/shop at the hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading out into the all too familiar heavy winds for our ride north along the South China Sea.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYou can see the whitecaps on the water out there...pretty windy conditions!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
We are heading down to the west coast…a much easier descent than the way we came.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This area of the coast has a high density of American military bases which add to the population of the area. We are interested to see how these different cultures will mesh with the Japan we have been travelling through. 

There are 4 or 5 Military Bases in this area. We will see these signs frequently.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Barry has been struggling with soft brakes for a while.  This is not good. We have been unable to find help from mechanics who have experience with drum brakes.Riding in hilly terrain with a heavy loaded bike needs solid braking. We are so relieved to have this problem sorted.

Sunset Bikes…we enjoy finding bike stores like this. Yazi, the owner/mechanic of the bike shop, had Barry’s brakes restored to new in no time.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat that Barry's brakes are fixed - - you definitely need to have good brakes with the big hills you are all doing.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
His shop had lots of great bikes on the second floor. Loved the poster of the Tour de Okinawa. The Tour is an annual professional road race held in November. It is 200 km and is the longest road race in Japan. It starts in Nago City, goes to Cape Hedo on the northern tip of Okinawa, and then the route returns to Nago. Knowing some of the terrain, we can say it is not for the faint of heart. Over 60 years of age? You could ride the 100 km route. There are several other rides for different ages…For example, 50 km for 6 years of age and older.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yazi had this map in his shop. We appreciated his tips and advice…for example, we had tentatively planned to ride the perimeter of the island. Yazi, a man of few words…pointed to the east coast going south from Cape Hedo, and he shook his head. Don’t do it, all hills and nothing else there. This is the first time on Okinawa we have been ble to get good information about cycling here. Thank you Yazi!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s a funny thing…you are posing for a photo and suddenly your trike is about to roll out into the road. We both stepped forward and I swung my leg out to stop my trike. Forgot to put the parking brake on!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The surf is crashing in and the sounds of the wind and the waves is all too familiar. But, what a sight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A familiar iconic American landmark…in Japan.
Heart 1 Comment 1
marilyn swettI wonder what the history is of this statue?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Restaurants in Okinawa often have a variety of characters at their front doors. Not sure what kind of restaurant this one is
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltHa! Looks like skinny sumo wrestlers...
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Barry BartlettToo right. You can count on Japan for humour and fun touches.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

Yazi asked if we needed a recommendation for lunch. He highly recommended Rinkul Okinawa Soba. We are so glad he did as we would never have found it, as it is off the main road in a neighbourhood. Unlike other parts of Japan where he have sought out Ramen places to eat, in Okinawa, Soba noodles in soup are the favourite meal. 

We were enchanted by this restaurant. Full of character and each room decked out with memorabilia and quirky collectables.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We both had this soba soup chuck full of noodles, pork belly, seaweed, veggies…delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry loves this side of vinegared seaweed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The following photos give you a glimpse into the character filled interior of Rinkul Okinawa Soba restaurant. A memorable place..both for its decor and its food.  The woman who served us was excited to see the Canadian flags on our trikes. She had lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba 20 years ago to learn English and had travelled a bit. She made it to BC and reached the coast.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Judith…please look closely at this photo. We may have found your long lost ducky.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThere's a restaurant similar to this with all the quirky toys, etc. in Baltimore, MD, called The Paper Moon Diner. :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owner is clearly a collector with eclectic taste.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jazz was playing in the restaurant. Nice to see a stereo with a good selection of LP’s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Each jar has a creature or food..many of them with snakes, in the liquid creating a special beverage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is something for everyone here. Snake sake, anyone?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltThe habu is the most dangerous snake on Okinawa. A friend who had a 2 year tour there got nicknamed Habu because he was big and tough looking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protobothrops_flavoviridis

I see a pretty nice ginseng root on the right too!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The unassuming exterior doesn’t prepare you for the wonderful world that has been create inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A neighbourhood cat keeping an eye on us. He seemed to be quite curious but we gave him space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the on the road again after lunch. Riding along the coast is very nice with palm trees on both sides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding is thirsty work and a Conbeni (Convenience Store) seems to pop up just as you need it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now that we know what this tree is…the screw pine tree, we seem to see it everywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI see online that it says that only the female screw pines produce fruit that is edible...though you need to cook it before you try to eat it.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The beautiful coast alongside the South China Sea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beaches are lovely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see such incredible cloud formations here.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat looks like a painting!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
What an incredible day we have had. We love the flexibility that travelling gives us. The day always brings us experiences we didn’t anticipate and chance meetings with people who enrich the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a day of punishing winds and rain at times, we have reached Onna, a community by the sea. Our accomodation is like an apt. Ready for a hot shower, dinner and bed.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,926 km (1,196 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0