Pilgrims and Surfers- a Spectacular Ride on the South Coast - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 11, 2023

Pilgrims and Surfers- a Spectacular Ride on the South Coast

We awoke to a glorious day…perfect symmetry, we arrived in sunshine and we leave with fair skies. We have the makings of a good day of riding.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Along with sunshine, we have a very windy day, and it’s not a tailwind 😢.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We will remember our time here fondly…a wee break from a “working holiday”.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Thank you hot tub for being there when we needed you!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat picture - - reminds me of Hawaii!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Our surf house has sleeping for two upstairs with windows positioned at the ceiling to offer views for the loft area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our host Ryota outside his shop
Heart 2 Comment 0
We listened to his stories of surfing and battling the elements…as did he of our exploits on our trikes. We shared respect yet wonder at what the other does.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Life is good for surfers when there is wind. We will see many surfers along the coast today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This view is to the left of where we are staying.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We found this statue of the Goddess of Mercy (we’re pretty sure..) with a young child gazing up to her to be quite touching.
Heart 4 Comment 0

.

Our ride today will mostly follow the coast. The frequent signs showing the elevation above sea level as well as tsunami and evacuation warnings are sobering reminders of the realistic threat locals live with.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The signage on the road refers to the 1000 Km ride around Shikoku that you can do. We’re doing it, but unofficially.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Two travellers, one a pilgrim walking and another riding his trike, both on their own quest, both on a pilgrimage of sorts.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lunch from a small Japanese grocery store, seasoned rice inside an omelet with a yummy sauce. It was a two person operation with the woman running the store and her husband repairing and rebuilding old bikes in front of the store.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Meoto Iwa…. “Marriage Couple Rocks” can be found all over Japan. They are a rock formation, of significance to Shinto Buddhism.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The coast is dotted with fishing ports. The scale of some of them can be awesome, befitting their setting on the open seas of the Pacific Ocean.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Boats tethered together behind the breakwater.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are having a glorious day, refreshed from our two night stay.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We have arrived at the Muroto Geo Park which showcases the impressive volcanic rocks and formations from an underwater volcanic eruption 14 million years ago. The wonderful thing about this area is that there is no commercialism, no massive parking area for buses, just information  boards explaining the significance of this natural wonder.  We got to explore this beautiful site all to ourselves

Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsFascinating structure!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just the two of us taking in the view and energy of this natural wonder.
Heart 6 Comment 0
It is difficult to share the awesome fury and beauty of this rocky place. The wind is roaring, the spray of the water from hitting the rocks is awesome. It is a dynamic and wondrous force of nature that we are immersed in.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Rich FrasierI love those clouds!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We walked around the areas that have been added to allow a closer look.
Heart 2 Comment 0
To make things even better for us, we next came to a car tunnel and we were excited to find a pedestrian (pilgrims)/cyclist tunnel alongside. What a treat to ride through a quiet tunnel
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
This small poster in the convenience store bathroom was very sweet, but made us wonder. We find convenience store bathrooms to be immaculate as a rule, but this one needed a lot of help, and interestingly, this is the first time we have seen a poster like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Signage warning of tsunami danger is frequent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting sign. Japan has made great strides in reducing smoking in their population and as well educating about the impact of smoking on others.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are in Muroto and are visiting one of the 88 Temples, Shinhoji #25.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Temples are a place of endless steps upwards. The steps with their irregular heights and angles are testaments to their age. This mother and her son were delightful to chat with. We had an exciting conversation in 2 languages, but we managed to understand each other. I was in awe of her resolve in climbing so many stairs as on flat land she had trouble walking. She also, was appreciative of my efforts. She clapped and grabbed my hands in friendship when she understood that we are riding through Japan for 3 months and we are from Canada. A wonderful moment in our day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thank goodness for the railings. We really enjoyed visiting this small temple.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A cleansing station
Heart 1 Comment 0
I’m part way there…
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe long staircase helps to stretch your legs a bit from cycling. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
One stops to contemplate/pray, whatever you wish. You can pull the rope to ring the bell, bow twice and clap twice. Barry and I are not religious people, but we feel a tranquility and peace when we visit these temples. The people, the setting and the rituals slow down the pace of your day and allow time for contemplation.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view of Muroto Port from the Temple.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And down we go. Somehow it is easier to climb than to descend.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This animated fellow shows you where to go to get your book stamped with calligraphy as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This guesthouse is very close to the Temple. We were intending to ride further, but decided to stop. The laneways in this area are tiny with mostly older traditional buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We will stay at Guesthouse Fuji for the night in our tatami room.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 606 km (376 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Elodie StaufferGorgeous scenery! Love the place you stayed on the beach.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago