Muroto to Kochi - a long day of riding - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 12, 2023

Muroto to Kochi - a long day of riding

We both slept well in our tatami room at Hotel Fuji…we were tired but the public bath in the guesthouse helped us to unwind. Admittedly, this  guesthouse could use a bit of a tune up, but despite that, we enjoyed our stay here.  We had everything we needed…frig, kettle, good screens on the windows. All we added for the comfort of Barry’s back was to inflate our double sleeping mat to add to his bed. 

We really like staying in these  traditional inns. They are quiet, peaceful and with few distractions. 

It was a good morning for riding…a quiet Sunday morning on the roads. Since we had a shorter day than we had planned yesterday, we have set our sights on getting to Kochi tonight. Our strategy is not to make too many stops and space them out with no breaks between 20 Km  increments. It is about 80 kilometres to Kochi. We will stick to route 55 which follows the ocean for most of the way. Yesterday the ocean scenery along route 55 was spectacular with very light traffic. 

Our room at Hotel Fuji…modest yet suited us just fine. We did set up our camp ground chairs for reading and eating. At this point in the day, sitting on the Japanese chairs on the floor was not appealing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Long hallways with rooms, like eating areas, behind sliding screen doors.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hotel Fuji is a vast place with more than one staircase taking you to other areas, like the bath. We took 3 staircases from our room to the main floor.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The owner kindly offered the entry area for our trikes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The old and the new at work…all in one place: a heat pump, freezer, piano and an ancient chair with hand propelled rollers to help an aching back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Final preparations before we head out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most Japanese people we have seen are avid, committed gardeners. They are always working…in farm fields or a tiny plot in front of their house.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Japan is a study in contrasts. Modern alongside old…this maze of narrow streets is a thriving neighbourhood of homes, small businesses, cafes, our Guesthouse, etc. These areas continue to thrive with the main busy road just a stones throw away.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Tsunamis are a real and present threat to this coastline.   The wild, open Pacific is beautiful yet, powerful. It seems like every Km., there is signage  with warnings and instructions on where to flee should a tsunami occur. November 5 is Tsunami awareness day when there are many activities in the communities to remind people of strategies to protect themselves and their families.

We have been struck by the proactive approach along the coast to prepare communities for a tsunami. This region has done well building these structures for people to escape should a tsunami occur.
Heart 4 Comment 0
8.5 metres is the height of this evacuation tower. In rural, less populated areas, we see signs to take a path up into the hills. It is a sobering thought.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Loggerhead Turtles are popular residents in this area and they lay their eggs on the beach along this coast. This is a bus stop featuring a mother turtle and her baby on her head. It is a good place to travel when even a bus stop makes you smile
Heart 7 Comment 0

      

  

The signage is excellent along route 55.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another tribute to the beloved resident turtles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Useful information to have, according to Barry.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Amusing murals at a Michi-no-Eki.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Michi-no-eki, posters of people as/or attired as…vegetables.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful stretch of beach before Kochi. We were lucky that our route followed this shoreline for some time. We weren’t so lucky with the heavy winds, but you can’t have it all.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Thank you road crew. We appreciate the smooth new lane for bikes that is nearly finished.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Naturally, the Pacific Coast is a busy fishing area with many large ports. Fishers layout their massive nets to repair them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This Tori Gate is perched atop the rocky cliff above the sea. It is there to protect fishermen.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Triangular cement pieces positioned against the breakwater to protect the shore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A late lunch at a Michi-no-Eki for Mary Ellen…yum.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry had ramen.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mascot at a Michi-no-Eki where we had lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ice cream for dessert, made with fresh local blueberries….tasty. The colour reminded us of the lavender ice cream we enjoyed at Furona, Hokkaido earlier this year.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This small town had four of these towers spaced along the community.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are becoming a bit obsessed by the variety of beautiful manhole covers we see in Japan. Loved this one.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We stopped at a picturesque look out with an attractive gazebo. We thought that this could be a good place to,wild camp. That is, until we saw this sign warning visitors to stay off the grass due to the presence of poisonous vipers and Japanese Giant hornets. It is felt.that the hornets are the most dangerous animal in Japan and in North America they are known as the Murder Wasp. These hornets and vipers pose a significant risk to Pilgrims and they use their walking stick to pound the ground and rocks with the intent of scaring away the vipers and hornets as they walk.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've heard of these Murder Wasps (hornets) - but haven't seen one yet. Don't care to see one!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The beautiful beach we have been following.
Heart 4 Comment 0
More spectacular fields of cosmos…this one included sunflowers which was quite striking.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beautiful
Heart 2 Comment 0
We love that some of the tunnels have a companion tunnel alongside for Pilgrims and cyclists. Earlier we had to ride through a tunnel that was over 1 Km long and it was quite dangerous as some vehicles had no lights on. At one point, Barry had pulled over to a lay by as the traffic was heavy and as he started to ride again, a black vehicle came out of nowhere with no headlights on. It really shook Barry.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, tunnels can be nasty to bicycle through! :( I assume you all have flashing lights going. On the West Coast (CA and Oregon), they have a button that cyclists can push before they go in the tunnel, which lights up for drivers heading into the tunnel to let them know cyclists are in there, which is helpful. But I really like the separate tunnel the Japanese have built for walkers and bicyclists! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Another happy mascot at a Michi-no-Eki…a Mandarin orange warrior.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not too sure about this guy with his unique anatomy and crazed red rimmed eyes. His image is used to advertise a brand of Sake. But beware…over consumption could lead to an appearance like this guy.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We checked in to our hotel and walked across the road to a restaurant offering set meals. In celebration of a great day of riding, we each had a draft beer.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry had a spicy ramen with rice and gyozas…yummy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 687 km (427 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0