Camping wild to Minshuku Fukiya - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 14, 2023

Camping wild to Minshuku Fukiya

We were so lucky to find this spot to camp last night. We were beginning to wonder what we would do. No towns with accommodation for some time, the terrain we were riding through was hilly, heavily forested terrain and not suitable for a tent.  Once we saw the Logos sign, we were encouraged that there was hope.  I found a spot for camping by the playing field by the bathrooms, but Barry hit pay dirt when he discovered that a campground was further back. The campground was closed two days a week. We arrived with everything closed up. Showers and bathrooms were locked. It was painfully immaculate with not a tree in sight…but it was perfect. It had flat  ground for the tent, was situated by a lake with nice views thanks to the setting sun, and 100 yards away at the rowing club were bathrooms with built in bidets and heated seats. We are happy campers.



Our exclusive campsite….and there is even a maple leaf to welcome travelling Canadians!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltA perfect campsite for you! :) Flat and open, and restrooms!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
It rained in the night but stopped by morning. The sound of rain is such a satisfying sound once you are settled in to your sleeping bag, and the work is done. Drying off our tent before packing.we even electricity to charge our batteries.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWonderful that you had electricity to charge your batteries!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
It would be strange not to see a cute animated face on a sign in Japan. Most businesses and attractions have a mascot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yesterday’s ride was tough with about 12 Km of continuous climbs and a few declines at the end of the ride. Of course, our ride began today with a long hill. The growth of foliage and vines remind us of the tropics. This bamboo tree is completely taken over by these vines with the purple flowers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So beautiful…the centre looks like a light is emanating from it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This flower is ready to burst open.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nature is steadily reclaiming areas like the entrance to the tunnel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our goal was to reach Suzuka about 10 Km away. We had no food at camp for breakfast and only a can of black coffee (hot) from the vending machine. We discovered a Swiss inspired bakery called MontBlanc and we felt like we were in Europe. We both got a set breakfast which included eggs, pastrami or bacon, salad etc.. what a deal…a cup of coffee is about $4, but the set meal cost $6 and included the coffee. We bought some savouries and a few sweets to get us through the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Haven’t had a better chocolate croissant. This was filled with and coated in chocolate. Yummy
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltTiny chocolate croissants!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Susaki is a thriving port town with forestry, production of charcoal and cement as contributors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Immaculate lumber yard with each log tagged and itemized.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, I've never seen a lumber yard that had each log tagged!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

q

Liked the ceramic murals in Susaki.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enjoy Lawson’s Convenience Store but this one was special with an oversized inflated version of their mascot on the roof and a really nice eating area with the all important electrical outlets for charging our devices.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And guess who walked in?…our good friend Hiroshi who is walking the complete pilgrimage route on his own. We enjoyed meeting Michiko who is also doing the route solo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Michiki was a delight to talk to. Her sense of humour and quirky nature appealed to us. Like her hiking companion on the pilgrimage who is on her walking stick, we have Joey and Pansy, rubber ducks who sit on our handlebars.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view of the aquamarine water and a cement breakwater.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sheer height and size of these heavily forested hills dwarf their surroundings.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cement overhangs protect the roads.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood idea to have the cement overhangs the protect the roads! They could use that in other countries, like California, where there are mudslides.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Rock formations in the sea
Heart 2 Comment 0
Netting to prevent trees or branches hitting the roadway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This shows our route winding along the coastline as far as you can see in the photo. Our vantage point is lovely.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ingenuity and efforts of man to tame nature.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
An innovation use of lumber to form a barrier protecting the road from falling trees or branches.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fishing from shore.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This sign was outside of a rustic rest stop toilet block. Please leave your surfboards outside….take your garbage with you and treat the place with respect.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Enjoying the last of our bakery treats and a coffee.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A tsnumai evacuation tower
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood they have these tsunami evacuation towers!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Dinner at the Minshuku was excellent. Loved the seafood.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sashimi was excellent
Heart 2 Comment 0
This grilled fish was excellent as well.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry researching and poring over articles and journals.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 821 km (510 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0