Kochi to Logos Seaside..Camping Wild - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 13, 2023

Kochi to Logos Seaside..Camping Wild

It is always bittersweet to leave a place you have enjoyed. Kochi was an interesting place for us to explore. But, move on we must. Lots more km and places to go.

At the Hotel, we saw a women’s group who are touring on road bikes with a support van for their luggage This man is the organizer and driver. They are from Korea, along with a few Swiss riders. We enjoyed chatting with him as his knowledge of cycling in Japan and Korea is quite extensive
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is a chilly morning with loads of sunshine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We like these covered pedestrian walkways with shopping.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLooks like a pretty old streetcar.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
An impressive vessel for the extensive coastline of this Island nation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It looks like this kitty is living rough. He was very wary of us…and no tail..
Heart 1 Comment 0
We never take for granted the availability of pedestrian/bike tunnels in this area.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This fellow has clearly had a bit too much to drink…here he sits atop a restaurant on our way out of Kochi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Temple #33 of the Shikoku Pilgrimage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We couldn’t find a sign to reveal the significance of the small children on this statue. It is unlike any we have seen. Perhaps this temple is about children and families.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Henro pilgrims….this couple arrived by car.Henro can arrive on foot, car, bus, bicycle….
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have been following the Pacific Ocean for some time. We are enjoying calm seas today along the shore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
However, calm it may be today, the vast Pacific can bring rough seas and the threat of tsunami. To help protect the shore and its communities, we watched crews moving and placing these immense cement pieces along the shore
Heart 1 Comment 0
It has been a beautiful and interesting day of riding along the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThose tsunamis can get huge - - I wonder if these concrete pieces can help much?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
This photo helps to show the scale of these cement pieces.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wee house on this rock…a pretty sight with the small bush alongside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another weathered rock outcropping along the beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A very dapper turtle positioned to watch the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our route today has climbs, yet it closely follows the sea. We are loving the views that go on and on.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We see these small boats frequently. It looks like this boat has finally retired.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We watched this fellow glide effortlessly over the sea. What a sight.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, looks like he has some kind of motorized fan attached to the glider?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
By the sea, was a small shop showcasing local products and we were able to get lunch made locally which they microwaved for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We really liked this huge statue of a whale with its baby.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The village followed the sea. Our riding route is where you see the railing following the curve of the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesI scanned it! Interesting, plus the included map gave me an easy fix on where you actually are!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We really enjoyed visiting this temple which is built into the surrounding forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesIn Europe I irreverently look at different steeple designs, speculating on which might be most effective in reaching the heavens. The one here looks like it was designed by Sony!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A tranquil setting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen chose to not explore the upper area of the Temple grounds as she has been having some sore knee days. Barry went up however.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The station at the temple where you wash your hands before proceeding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the Guardians of the Temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So far today, Hiroshi has walked over 53,000 steps and counting.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWOW.......!!!! That's a TON of steps!! Over 53,000?!!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
We met Hiroshi at the temple. He is a yoga instructor and is making the pilgrimage of all 88 temples on foot. It is an awesome achievement. We can’t imagine walking from one location to another, let alone the complete pilgrimage.
Heart 4 Comment 0

As we were heading out from the Temple, we saw a plastic folder with the map of all the temples and a compass on the ground near where Hiroshi had been standing. We raced after him, yet despite us being on trikes, he had walked some distance. Thankfully we found him as the  loss of these valuable tools for his route would have been devastating. Glad we could help.

We have left the coast and we had about 15 Km of huge hills up and down. We couldn’t find a place to wild camp, so we kept going.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are losing daylight pretty quick, but we know that there is a community ahead and we will try to find a park or green space where we can set up our tent.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Alas, we found a bit of luck. First we went to a sports area with a soccer pitch, huge buildings with gymnasiums, etc. We could see kids playing basketball but the facility was locked. We carried on and turned into a development on a lake called Logos. We remember visiting an Outdoor Camping shop called Logos…and thank goodness, we found  a campground with electricity and bathrooms. Unfortunately it was closed but we were able to set up our tent and charge our devices. We were cold and tired, but relieved to be snuggled up in our tent.

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 773 km (480 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0