A spectacular ride from coast to coast - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

A spectacular ride from coast to coast

We have both been fighting a bug for awhile. Yesterday when we checked in, that was it for me. I thought I'd put my head down, and sometime later I woke up, completely disoriented. Is it night…the next day? 

We could see when we booked Harbor Hotel, that it is an older establishment, the rooms look old, yet the reviews spoke well of this place and the breakfast that is included. So we gave it a try. Like any place that is successful, it starts with the people and their level of  hospitality. This family owned and run Hotel is a labour of love and we discovered many unique and thoughtful touches when we entered the small breakfast room.

We noticed the small framed images of vintage bicycles, which we purchased for ourselves at the Shimano Bike Museum in Osaka. When we asked him about these, he shared that a guest had given these to him as a gift for the Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hotel is spotless -our room and bathroom, common areas, etc.This certificate may be old, but it remains true.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Collectibles and memorabilia are on display throughout.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They practice what they advertise…we can see that they are genuine in supporting cyclists and their needs as travellers. Liked the message on this tote bag.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buffets are a common way breakfasts are served in Japanese accomodation…and many are excellent. However, nothing compares to a freshly made breakfast, just for you. This is one of the best breakfasts we have had on our trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Home made brown sugar bread toasted, omelet, pork and sausages, homemade tomato soup with a special oil swirled in, salad and yogurt with a fruit sauce. The coffee was delicious and it was all served on local Okinawan pottery. A meal that was lovely to look at and tasted even better. 

As we were finishing, he brought us this tasty dish of fresh mango with whipped cream and a sprig of mint. This small hotel offers wonderful hospitality with attention given to providing us with a wonderful start to the day. Thank you…Arigato domo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The room is old, but we have everything we need and it is so clean…not a dust bunny in sight. The thickness of the cement walls are over a foot thick which makes it very quiet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bathroom has been updated with new tiles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In talking to the owner, we could hear his pride in being Okinawan , the culture and its food. They have put some effort in offering information about the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The check in area
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were the leaving the owner/chef came out to thank us for staying at his hotel and to wish us well. We have loved staying here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Appropriate to have bulls on the man hole covers in this town, world famous for Bull Sumo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This man hole depicts the way bulls interact while fighting. Bull Sumo originates in Okinawa, it is most practiced here, but other parts of Japan may host matches as well. It is called Togyu. A Sumo Bull event is held in a massive stadium and is usually sold out. People here are passionate about this event.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Each bull has a coach who helps keep the bull locked in combat and gives them encouragement. Much care is given to keep the bulls from being injured. If a bull is accidentally gored, the fight is immediately stopped.  Like Sumo Wrestling, where the combatants try to force their opponent out of the ring, Sumo bulls lock horns and try to force each other to give up ground. The match ends when one of the bulls tires, or loses interest or has given up ground.

On our way to the Sea Road we came across these humourous sculptures reminding people to drive safely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking out to Henza Island which is connected to the main island by the Sea Road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Floats from ships that have washed up on shore have been given a new life as decoration.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Japan, humorous or cute characters are used to slow people down when driving. These imaginative quirky characters got our attention….and being an Okinawan, it has a Sanshin instrument.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sea Road connects the island of Okinawa with four remote islands. The road/bridge is five kilometres long. The Sea Road itself has become a sort of tourist attraction with a Michi-no-eki at the half way mark. We saw many people stopping for photos, having a picnic and enjoying a variety of water activities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Japan is a country of over 14,000 of islands, with approximately 430 inhabited. There are many unique ways to connect with the main island. This one is one of our favourites, as the road is a destination to visit as well as the islands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The water is quite shallow and there is much coral in the water. Before the sea road was built, people would walk or eventually could drive at low tide to the first island. Driving a vehicle became possible with the introduction of amphibious and American large trucks. In 1970, Gulf Oil started constructing port facilities for petroleum storage tanks and reshipment on Henza island. The oil company paid for the construction of the sea road. A two lane road was completed in 1972. In 1999, the road was expanded to 4-lanes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sea road consists of a causeway and a bridge so boats can pass under.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A walk way has been constructed so that people can walk out to the rock. It is a favourite spot for fishing and photo taking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a popular spot for a photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was fun to ride our trikes down the slope to the point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing is such a popular pastime in Japan. These guys are serious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The large rock at the point has significance…that we aren’t sure we understand. Japanese Pennies have been placed by the glass rock, and they are all around the sides in indentations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pennies are wherever they will fit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trikes are enjoying the break…note the sparkle of the pennies placed in the rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We got into the spirit and contributed some pennies as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Posing for a photo…Japan style.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
People were wind surfing with varying degrees of success. These are rentals and have a different design with inflated edges. This fellow was doing very well
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's interesting to see the wind surfing sail has inflated edges! I've never seen that before - - I wonder why they have those inflated edges? Maybe to make it easier/softer when it hits the water?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Michi-no-eki, midway along the Sea Road. Its shape copies a wooden vessel Maran of the Ryuku Kingdom period. On the second is a Sea Cultural Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at the Michi…Barry had Okinawan Soba soup with a double portion of soba noodles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had a very different version of taco rice…but this one was on a bed of soba noodles with a soft egg on top and covered in fresh Bonita flakes. Delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A funny poster in the men’s bathroom detailing bathroom etiquette.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Somewhat amusing sign…don’t flush the diaper or the candies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking out to Hamahaiga Island from Sea Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at the next bridge which goes from Henza Island to Hamahiga Island. This bridge is 1.4 km long.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at Henza Island. Only one side of the island is inhabited-1800 people here. Other than the village and the port, 90% of the island is an oil refinery and tan farm. Altogether there are 70 large round oil tanks covering the space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Henza Island…we met the resident duck who had a lot to say…he followed Barry around and was quite tame.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this guy certainly has an interesting look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
How charming…we see why this guy is so friendly…locals have provided him and 2 others with this house and lots of food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The second duck in this family appeared.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there were three….a duck parade…Abbey Road maybe?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry has taken a ride over to Hamahiga Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is on the bridge to Hamahiga Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back to Henza Island at one of the few views which does not include oil tanks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also on the bridge. This one shows Okinawa’s position in relation to Asia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tropical Almond tree
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hamahiga Island is known for Mozuku Seaweed harvesting. Also known as the place where the goddess Amamikiyo sleeps. People consider Hamahiga to be a sacred island and they come here to pray. We have ridden the return route to the main island on the Sea Road and are headed to Ginowan, a 28 km ride across the island.

We came upon this Shinto Shrine once we had reached the west side of the island. It was beautifully decorated and people were making their first visit of the New Year, called Hatsumode and were giving thanks for the past year and prayers for the coming year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Visitors to the shrine draw a slip of paper, Omikuji (fortune slip) from the box. After reading, it is tied to the stand with the others if it is bad luck. Good luck slips are taken home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tori Gate at the Shrine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As part of the auspicious New Year, vibrant decorations are in place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The New Year time is coming to a close. Charms and amulets that you have received the year before are kept at your home and they are kept at your altar at home. There are three types of charms…Omamori, Ofuda and Hamada. At this time of year, you bring these charms back to the Shrine where they will be disposed of in a sacred fire.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Photos below show where you dispose of your past year’s charms at the Shrine.

Heart 0 Comment 0
These are known as Ofuda.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lanterns hung around the perimeter of the shrine for New Year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have reached Ginowan and are delighted to discover some interesting bike shops. Of course, we will stop and check them out. Liked the parking sign.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we will discover, bike shops here are high on the interesting, quirky scale. This shop had many collectibles in the shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owner wanted to take our photo…we are getting better at getting in the spirit of having our photo taken and doing it the Japanese way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The shop specialized in folding bikes…very good variety of interesting bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting folding bike - - very slim when folded!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
What is it about bike shops and coffee. We see the best fixings for coffee in shops like this. Come to think of it, great music shops with jazz and blues seem to have this trend too. Just realized, maybe we are the common denominator.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved his collection of miniatures, and by the way, he had some beautiful bikes too. We were able to get an inner tube from him to replace the one we used on Barry’s trike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy was a hoot. We had fun in his shop. Now off to find the hotel. It has been a fabulous day on Okinawa with some great riding and as usual, meeting good people.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,153 km (1,337 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0