From B+B Tandem to the Harbor Hotel - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

From B+B Tandem to the Harbor Hotel

Our stay at B&B Tandem has given us another pleasant experience to put in our memory bank.  It was more than a shelter from the storm, it was a wonderful place to stay.  We met the family in the morning and despite not doing breakfast this morning, their hospitality extended to providing us with  fresh coffee, yummy scones and a sticky rice ball  which was freshly made and still warm. We really enjoyed visiting with the couple who own it, their daughter and grandchildren. 

She was quite excited when she saw my trike. She quickly hopped on and laughed when I offered my helmet if she wanted a test ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very effective signage with the Ishikawa area mascot helping to make the point and with a smile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love the tropical foliage and flowers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This pair were quite intrigued but happy to keep their distance. It feels to me like they are posing for a portrait.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh yes, we are back in the world of the skinny sumo wrestler, as a reader put it, referring to this fellow when we rode through this area heading north.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This must be a problem in this area…it is even in English. I guess foreign visitors must be rushing in without making the appropriate choice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sticky rice with veg and black bean….leftovers from the impromptu breakfast we had at B&B Tandem.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready for a coffee and a visit to another Michi-no-eki.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of interesting local fish at the Michi. This is the parrot fish - the only fish with teeth outside their mouth which they use to chew on coral.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A

The Okinawan 3 stringed instrument, Sanshin, with the traditional snakeskin (synthetic in this case). This Sanshin features the local pro baseball team, Hanshin Tigerd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Sanshin features a tropical look.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Daikon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bitter melon…on Okinawa it is called Goya. We have eaten this vegetable often, which is classified as a fruit, sliced in a stir fry. Not our favourite flavour, a bit bitter but it is a nutritional powerhouse and very popular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goya…it is eaten regularly here and featured in many dishes. The t-shirt celebrates this popular vegetable. Okinawans are very pro-active about their health in lifestyle, good nutrition and keeping very active.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cormorants, as usual, clustered together on a rock. It reminds us of the behaviour of cormorants at home, clustered together on rocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The coast is beautiful and the weather is gusty today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fighter jets and helicopters like this remind us that American military bases are nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw the tall rectangular pillar from a distance, miles back, and wondered what it was. As we approached, we realized that it is part of a huge power plant
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huge pieces of coral washed up on shore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding along the coast is rewarding with much to see, and it is beautiful. It is a working coast with fishing, power plants, etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking ahead to another power plant.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A positive aspect of cycling in Japan is that there are often oversized sidewalks along the road where we are able to ride if we prefer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding on the sidewalk also gives us the best view of the ocean.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This egret was very busy fishing. It was difficult to catch him in a photo as he kept moving and running over the rocks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Family burial plots…this was unusual with many painted in different colours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wonderful cat was having a nap on one of the cement plots. It looks well cared for…loved the expression on its face.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This home embodies Okinawan traditions…a Shisa guardian and New Year decorations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another power plant along the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have had a fabulous day of riding along the coast of the Pacific Ocean. Great riding conditions. Nothing says tropical like aquamarine blue water, palm trees and coral lined beaches. We found a small family run hotel in Agena near Uruma called Harbor Hotel, including breakfast for 6500¥.  An  incredible bargain.

Harbor Hotel is supportive of cyclists and offer a place to hang your bike on the wall outside your room. Our trikes wouldn’t fit and a safe space was found for us. Appreciate that.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This area is world famous for the bull fights that occur here. It is nothing like the better well known type of bull fights famous in Spain. Locally it is known as Bull Sumo. Okinawan bull fights have more people (handlers) in the ring than bulls. The, bulls butt heads and basically the winner is the one who forces the other bull to lose ground. One of the roles of the handlers is to ensure their bull does not get injured. Previously, I didn’t have a desire to see a bull fight, but I find this Okinawan event intriguing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the heavy class, bulls can weigh in around 1000 kg. Some matches take seconds while others may last up to 30 minutes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Michi earlier today, we bought these yummy fresh strawberries from a local farm. Now, we get to enjoy them with vanilla ice cream. Yum.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,111 km (1,311 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0