Fargo / Morehead Trail - PedalPushin “The Final Two” 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2023

Fargo / Morehead Trail

State #49! We are getting closer … Montana, however, is still quite a ways away. 

Crossing the Red River between North Dakota and Minnesota
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trailside visitor
Heart 0 Comment 0


Fargo, North Dakota is on one side of the Red River, Morehead is on the Minnesota side of the river so I guess we really rode in two states today as we wound our way along the trail system crossing from one to the other. The trail was more like a Greenway with various surfaces as it wound itself along the river in a park like setting. 

Two highlights stood out today. The first was a sculpture dedicated to the “sand baggers” which referenced the efforts it has taken to place sandbags along the river during the various floods that have occurred along the Red River, floods that would have kept our entire ride today underwater. 

Sandbagger Sculpture
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bit more information
Heart 0 Comment 0

The second was a replica of a Hopperstad Stave Church which was dedicated to many of the Norwegian immigrants who homesteader and farmed the Red River valley. I am not sure if the museum had more artifacts as we weren’t willing to pay the admission fee to find out. But the outside of the replica certainly brought thoughts of Vikings to our minds. 

Replica
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had meant to get cycling early in the day but visiting with our old time friends from Alaska in Detroit Lakes caused the morning hours to slip by. We finally started riding when the temperature was in the mid 80’s. Not so bad but afternoon was on its way. I am not a fan of hot temperature riding as I think I get flashbacks to a trip crossing Nebraska where the temperatures were over 100 degrees each day and I finally pulled the plug when I crossed into Iowa. I ended up calling for rescue and suffered for two weeks from that heat wave. As it turned out the temperature was 93 degrees when we finished riding and then rose a few more degrees as we drove towards Grand Forks.   In the end we only rode 15 miles and decided a half day of riding was a good choice and we can certainly do a longer ride tomorrow. 

We’ve got several days somewhat planned as we work our way across North Dakota where the trails are thin and the distances between them are long. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 miles (24 km)
Total: 114 miles (183 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0