Clareton Highway towards the Black Hills - PedalPushin “The Final Two” 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2023

Clareton Highway towards the Black Hills

We woke up to puddles and significantly colder temperatures after last night’s thunderstorms. Between the lightning and rolling thunder, we were both awaken several times. I’m sure glad we weren’t camping as it would have been an ugly night. 

Instead we opted to not do an urban ride in Gillette but rather drive a bit and find a quiet state Highway to cycle when the clouds cleared and the temperatures were nicer. 

Wyoming landscape
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Clareton Highway between Wright and Custer was just perfect. After turning east on the highway, we drove about 10 miles to clear the massive open pit coal mine and entered a National grassland. We also opted to do a half ride in hopes that the weather would clear a bit in Custer, South Dakota, our intended destination. 

Dwarfed by her surroundings
Heart 1 Comment 0
Perspective
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was enjoyable, mostly flat, with little to no wind. There was also very little traffic and the traffic was quiet polite despite our narrow shoulder. We rode as far as the county line because road surfaces can change dramatically and ours did. Campbell county did a great job, Weston county not so much. 

Arrival in Custer
Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite the desire to do another ride in Custer, we were greeted by thunderstorms, rain, mist, and falling temperatures. So … dinner instead. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 14 miles (23 km)
Total: 352 miles (566 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0