Oconto to Escanaba - Lake Michigan Circle Tour 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2023

Oconto to Escanaba

Day 4

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This was a long day on the bike. 89 miles for me, 90 for Mike. Stan added a little extra to get more like 100. Mostly flat and a lot of miles on hwy 35. It was cool and overcast in the morning which was great. But around lunch time we started running into some rain. Shortly after lunch it was a deluge. We ducked for cover in a random barn filled with tools and a boat. The rain pounded the metal roof. We hung out there a while until it backed down to just plain rain. 

Dave rode with us in the morning and Loretta in the second half. Their system of alternating driving and riding is working well. Stan and Mike and I are still pulling our gear but we have the safety net of the car. For me, this is the best of both worlds since its my first self supported bike camp ride of such duration. The car also helped us get to dinner at Mo’s in Escanaba, and to Walmart for some supplies. Tonight we are staying in an airbnb - a house where we each have our own room. This is the only night of the trip with that arrangement. We’re catching up on laundry. We’re charging our reserve batteries and lights and such. Our group is solid and having laughs along the way. Highlights today in addition to the rain : we hit our stride and at times we were really motoring along with these rigs. So our average pace came up a bit. Not that that’s a focus. But I know I am getting stronger, and that feels amazing. We’re at the part now where I feel like we are really in this adventure. We crossed into the state of Michigan and into a new time zone today. Also, I saw two swan. 

Today's ride: 90 miles (145 km)
Total: 310 miles (499 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0