Day 7 - leaving Villa Santa Lucia - High Maintenance - 6 Week Carretera Austral - 2024 - CycleBlaze

January 25, 2024

Day 7 - leaving Villa Santa Lucia

Well today was a day of many firsts. I’m writing this tonight on the edge of a log as we are wild camping tonight.  The first was of course camping by a river, no amenities. Bizarre that I got a wifi signal to post this

Enjoying a nice cappuccino before we ride
Heart 2 Comment 0

Another first was no yellow rain or bug jacket, guess not showering helps however David is keeping his distance at breakfast and stays riding ahead of me. Bert’s family or Barb, Bob and Betty were still trying to annoy us perhaps I’m just zoned them out to. 

We did visit the museum they set up in town about the mudslide. Pretty eye opening shots of what Mother Nature can do. We see the beauty of the mountains and ice caps,  however can wreak havoc so quickly.

You can see how high the mud rose
Heart 0 Comment 0
It took 2 years to restore the house
Heart 0 Comment 0

Food trucks are basically the front of a house. Great chicken sandwich, these chickens just wander around till they try and cross the road and become lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The views were stunning again, around every corner a new AWWWWE moment.

Rivers or Mountain always great to see
Heart 3 Comment 0
Great views as you crest a hill
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of my favourite views
Heart 5 Comment 0

Another first the grass is greener on the other side of the fence ! Some cow proved this. 

Bessy the cow knows the right side
Heart 1 Comment 0

To get to this great site we did have to go down a 2km gravel road, worth every step. For those of you camping at a camp site with showers, bathrooms and hydro this experience is so much more peaceful. No cars pulling in, just the sound of the river 30‘ away. Screw the meter stuff 

Peaceful spot
Heart 1 Comment 0
Whole beach to pick from
Heart 2 Comment 0

We also crossed the 300km mark, with the total KM being shy of 1300 we are almost 1/4 done. It is so good not having to rush the ride. If one day we only do 40 no biggie!

300 down less than 1,000 to go
Heart 3 Comment 0

Another great pasta dish. So easy to make, add in onions, peppers, sauce , chile sauce and cheese .. badda boom badda bing ! 

Another first taking a sit down in a glacial river. The river was ptrety fast flowing so even if you decide to swim have to be careful. 

First David
Heart 2 Comment 0
David got a good video of me letting out a cold water scream.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tip to new touring riders that are doing a long ride, practice with weighted paniers. It has taken me almost a week to get used to the extra weight and toss in a new bike that I barely put on 50km. So get out there locally and get used to the weight and not just pavement! 

I’m sure seasoned touring riders feel the serenity of seeing the beautiful scenery on 2 wheels. I‘ve motorbiked for over 15 years and was always happy to see the country side. When doing 1/4 of the speed on a bicycle is even better. 

Another tip, trip planning is important for ferry schedules and sometimes booking a cabana, hotel or camp site, however be flexible some places may really turn your crank and you want to stay an extra day. Put in the extra days for not only weather, add fun days hiking etc.

Peaceful river is putting me to sleep ! 

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 538 km (334 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0