Bordeaux to St. Emilion - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 17, 2010

Bordeaux to St. Emilion

Bordeaux to St. Emilion, partly on le Piste Cyclable Roger Lapebie
Heart 0 Comment 0

WEATHER: SUNNY

We got ourselves organized and said our au revoirs to Gen and Thierry around 10:00. We felt well-rested and eager to begin the "serious" part of our bike tour. After crossing the river, we had lovely riding along the Roger Lapebie cycle piste. No car traffic, varied scenery, no hills. Off the piste at Créon, where we stopped for a an excellent galette lunch in the town square--scallops and leeks in a buckwheat crepe. No wine today, but we each had a cappucino, generously garnished with whipped cream.

Outside the B&B, ready to set off from Bordeaux. You'd never know from the street entrance that such a nice garden was nestled behind.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From Créon we cycled on a small road for a few km to La Sauve, where Al got to photograph a ruin. Then back on the piste again for the famous lighted tunnel--a joy to cycle through. Shortly afterwards we got off the piste onto small roads the rest of the way to Saint Emilion, which of course was up a steep hill, but it is an absolutely spectacular looking village in the sunshine.

Some of the last grapes of the season being harvested on our way to St. Emilion.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our hotel, Auberge de la Commanderie, was right near the top of the town, very conveniently located. The room was small, but fine, with a nice view over the tile rooftops and vineyards, and with a BATHTUB! After showering we walked to some viewpoints to take photos of the setting sun lighting up the buildings before having a rather heavy dinner at La Cote Brisée. with fish soup for Al, foie gras for Eva. Then scallops in a cream sauce, then roasted lamb slices, then mousse de fruits rouge with a very expensive half bottle of St. Emilion.. The dinner was too much food and sort of mass produced for tourists. Back to our hotel and to bed.

The view over the rooftops from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cobbled street that went past our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 130 km (81 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0