In Trogir: a photo gallery - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2020

In Trogir: a photo gallery

Trogir is a tiny place, a minuscule island in the channel between the mainland and the larger island of Čiovo.  The entire island, most of which is covered by the walled city, measures only roughly a third by a fifth of a mile.  

If Trogir were in France and had just a bit smaller population, it would undoubtedly have been designated Un Plus Beaux Village.  Even more prestigious though is that the entire medieval town is designated as a UNESCO world heritage site.  The justification, from the UNESCO declaration: Trogir is an excellent example of a medieval town built on and conforming with the layout of a Hellenistic and Roman city that has conserved its urban fabric to an exceptional degree and with the minimum of modern interventions, in which the trajectory of social and cultural development is clearly visible in every aspect of the townscape.

From this, you can imagine that it has been heavily influenced by tourism - especially since it’s only a short drive from Split, the second largest city in Croatia and a major tourist destination in its own right.  Shops, restaurants and accommodations are everywhere, but it’s all handled as well as can be expected and you don’t have to look past too much to appreciate what an exceptional little place it is.  It helps the experience immensely that the entire area within the historical walls is a pedestrianized zone, and traffic flow even around the perimeter is controlled; and that most people just visit it as a day tour from Split, so if you stay overnight you nearly have the place to yourself.  It’s small enough that a day visit makes perfect sense, but staying overnight is much better as long as you plan enough in advance to make sure you can get accommodation. 

For such a small place, it’s striking how many bell towers rise above the town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Trogir.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Trogir.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saint Peter’s Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These shutters remind me of that door in Skradin blocked by a well developed fig tree.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The obligatory cat photo. Live cats are roam all over town, but I thought it would be a nice change to include this simple work of art.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A super-spreader that’s outgrown its pot. It reminds me of our own draecena, a supposedly hardy plant that we still managed to kill off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stockings and shutters.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Interesting. I don’t remember seeing a display like this before. Theories?
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Trogir.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The city clock tower, completed in 1482.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The most important monument in Trogir is of course its Saint Lawrence Cathedral; and possibly its most noteworthy feature is this elaborate Romanesque portal, completed in 1240 and recently restored.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sides of the portal are bracketed by Adam and Eve, held up by lions. A familiar motif, which we also just saw in Šibenik.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Jen RahnWatch out .. looks like Adam might have a sore throat.

And he's not wearing a mask!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnDoes a strategically placed fig leaf count?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnIt might! But please don't tell Trump.

That's not an image from which I could recover.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Details from the Trogir Cathedral.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Details from the Trogir Cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Details from the Trogir Cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bell tower was completed over three centuries, with each of its three levels completed in different architectural styles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can climb up the tower for a magnificent view of the surroundings. The stairwell is very narrow in the lowest, oldest tier. It’s really only wide enough for one person at a time.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking up the tower, we can see the bells above. Also note that the staircase is wider and more manageable than below.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jen RahnVertigo-inducing!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Looking out from the stairwell. At the bottom, the sign requests that you not tamper with the mesh or clang the bells.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the two cathedral bells, electronically activated. When I reached this level I had a sudden feeling of panic, fearing I would be deafened if they started ringng next to my head.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view back toward the mainland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view in the other direction, to the island of Čiovo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down on the town clock tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0