In Labin: a photo gallery - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2020

In Labin: a photo gallery

Labin is a remarkable little town, once you rise above the modern apron that surrounds the historical core perched on top of a conical hill.  First mentioned in 275 AD, it’s a medieval town with some of its fortified walls still intact and newer structures from the baroque era.  With its mix of colorfully restored structures and others just crumbling away, it makes a delightful place to wander around aimlessly for an hour or two while you’re waiting for the dinner hour to roll around.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bricks and a red blossom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Venetian Lion, on the facade of the Church of the B.V MRy’s Birth.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Showing his good side. He appears to be a scrapper, and has a bad right eye.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Clothespins.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The bell tower, Saint Stephen’s Church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Battiala-Lazzarini Palace, now the city museum.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 3
Jen RahnI saw the word 'Nike' in this sign and thought it must mean something in Croatian.

I looked it up and the translation is 'Nike'.

Do you know if the sign is someone's name and maybe they were named after the Greek goddess before Phil Knight came around?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnSharp eyes! It could be revering the Greek goddess, alright. Or, it could just be an athletic shoe ad. Another possibility is that it is honoring Nike Katunar, a martyred war hero who helped liberate Susak from the Nazis. Ulica means street, so my guess is that Labin named the street to honor him, as was done also in Rijeka.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnGood to know! Even when I search for Nike Katunar, Google returns a bunch of links related to the Brand.

Sad, because being a war hero seems a little more important than outfitting overpaid athletes.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Saint Stephen’s Church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking down from the viewpoint at the summit to its sister city Rabat on the coast.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view to the northeast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
She’s slightly smiling because I’ve just asked permission to photograph her. I was especially drawn to the colorful bench, which looks like it could collapse at any second.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not the most inspired expression.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Little Theater. As I walked by, the sounds of an accomplished pianist permeated the air.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving the old town through Porta Sanfior.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jen RahnWhat a fascinating place to walk around!

I especially love the people photos.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago