In Buzet: a photo gallery - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2020

In Buzet: a photo gallery

 Like most of the towns in Istria, Buzet has an Italian feeling.  The peninsula is a borderland, moving back and forth from control by Italians (under the Venetian empire, and again between the first and second world wars), the Austrian-Hungarians, and the Slavs.  Today the Italian influence is strongest in the coastal towns, but even here in Buzet, far in the interior near the Slovenian border, the Venetian lion is prominent on a wall or two.

Buzet doesn't feel at all like colorful Labin  though.  It is much greyer and stonier, with a less prosperous feel.  And, it’s smaller - an hour after breakfast was just right for an exploration of the walled historical city. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
The old town bakery still houses the original oven, but like most sights now is closed. We’ll just admire its stony exterior.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chimneys of the old town bakery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Church of Saint George.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Church of Saint George.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Remnants of the town walls. The 15th century bell tower is a remnant of older part of the Church of Saint George, before it was restored.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Three views of a narrow street.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking northwest, toward the Slovenian border. Continuing in a straight line this direction, you’d arrive in Trieste in 20 miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Renaissance tower, part of an old fortress.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pug shot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A manneristic portal, from the 17th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view north from the town walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering the old city through the Venetian Little Gate, finished in 1592.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view outward through the Little Gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Guy Fawkes was here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0