Blown away in Zadar - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2020

Blown away in Zadar

I don’t know how this happened, but I’ve gotten several days behind here.  Well, I do know - I just keep letting myself get sucked into the news narrative, wondering what prominent figure has just fallen ill or what outrageous event has occurred.  Madness.

So, I’ll catch up here and just show you some photos from Zadar, which Rachael and I explored in our own fashion on a real rest day forced on us by the intense winds that howled throughout the day.  No way were we going to ride our bikes today - it felt precarious enough just walking across the footbridge.   

The view of the walled city from our apartment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tempting.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A tidy array.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Retreads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The city market, inside the city walls, is allegedly one of the best in the country. It’s been here since the Middle Ages, but has only occupied this large open space since much of this neighborhood was flattened in the Second World War. Some of the nearby structures are still awaiting restoration.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Zadar’s city market.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Even after over six weeks here, it’s still startling to come to a city like Zadar and see its streets and restaurants so empty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Zadar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Zadar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even in this sheltered inner city street the wind is really whipping around. The laundry is on tumble dry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Chrysogonus Church.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesChristianity has so many saints that I frequently run into exotic sounding ones I have never heard of. One I am fond of is St. Zotique - a street in Montreal. So here is the exotic sounding (to me) Saint Chrysogonus. But Saint Chrysogonus turns out to be the patron saint of Zadar. Everyone else knows that, I guess!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYes, I was sure many would be familiar with the background here. No sense insulting folks’ intelligence by pointing out the obvious.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Saint Chrysogonus Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cathedral of St. Anastasia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cathedral of St. Anastasia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cathedral of St. Anastasia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bell tower, Cathedral of St. Anastasia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Zadar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crkva Gospe od zdravlja (Church of the ladies of health?)
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Church of Saint Donatus, begun in the 9th century and built on the ruins of the Roman forum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Teetering on the ruins of the Roman forum.
Heart 2 Comment 0
With wind gusts up to 60 mph, the wave action on this side of the peninsula are impressive and mesmerizing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Zadar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Medieval churches and Roman ruins are interesting enough, but the big show today is in the natural world. Look at how far in the splash line extends today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The reflecting pool, with the water organ wailing in the background. I tried to capture its eerie sound with a video, but the roar of the wind and waves drowned it out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Zadar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view from above the town walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Matching his and hers.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnNo matter what the weather,it will be a bright sunshiny day with matching his/hers Sunshine Yellow Apparel.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonDoesn’t this just warm up your day though? Rachael and I are going to have to do this.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
It’s uncanny how often this happens to us. We’re each wandering around and stumble into each other in an unlikely spot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0