Colossal Cave - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2023

Colossal Cave

Finally, one of the days I knew was coming - I didn’t see a new species to add to the YTD list.  we’ll, I might have seen one, a blue-grey gnatcatcher - but the sight was too fleeting to be sure so I’d feel guilty claiming it.  Honest accounting is important, and I want you to be able to trust me.  Still, what other bird that small am I likely to see that’s so small at this time of year, other than a hummingbird?  And trust me on that one - this was no hummingbird.  So, probably a blue-grey gnatcatcher, but with 357 days left in the year, we’ll wait to list one until a real sighting flits by.

So here’s my chance - no new bird, a ride we’ve done before, it’s time for a short post.  Here’s the bare-bones essentials of the day.  It’s warm sunny, a high of 70 again.  We finally broke down and used the car, driving 10 miles to Thomas Jay Regional Park for the starting point to bike out to the lookout at Colossal Caves and back, a ride identical to one we took last year.  We could have biked from home, but neither of us really wanted to take on a 65 miler today.

It’s a beautiful day and a fine ride.  A keeper, one we’d probably do every time we’re out here.  Not much else to report though, except we couldn’t spot the crested saguaro we’ve seen off on a distant hill this time like we have the last time.  Either our eyes have gotten worse, or we’ve forgotten exactly where to look, or the worst has happened.  Hopefully it didn’t get scalped so someone could take home a novel centerpiece for their table.

Oh, and also we crossed paths with Kelly again on our way back to the car.  So in the first eight days of the year we’ve biked every day and encountered another CycleBlazer on 3 of them - a 37.5% average!  Should we keep another metric?  Perhaps not.  We don’t want this to become a numbers dump, and we’ve got two others we’re tracking already.  Three if you count flat tires, which still sits at zero.

We ate in tonight.

We watched the next episode of Extrordinary Attorney Woo.  

Finis.

Leaving the neighborhood. It’s the weekend, everyone’s out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view north from Julian Wash. A gorgeous, cloudless day today. Well, nearly cloudless.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crossing the tracks on Houghton Road. Say - isn’t that Mount Lemmon ahead?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not this though. This is Rincon Peak, and we’re on Mary Ann Cleveland Road looking across the broad creosote flats east of Vail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ve moved on from busy but safe Cleveland Way, and are on quiet Pistol Hill Road now. That’s Pistol Hill ahead, with Rincon Peak behind. We’re going to turn right at the junction ahead onto ultra-quiet Colossal Cave Road, and eventually circle Pistol hill before heading back to the car.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The next three miles on Colossal Cave Road are a pure delight. It’s kept quiet because you can’t drive through to Colossal Caves this way - the road is barricaded about a mile ahead, but open for bike and foot traffic.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Kelly Iniguezah, ha! I know where you are now. I did not know that bicycles could go through. That would be a delight! It's on my list now. I thought you rode and out and back to the entrance and was wondering why Rachael was recommending it so highly. Thank you for always including maps.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezIt took us awhile to figure it out too. We discovered it went through by accident really, when we biked out on Christmas Day and we’re disappointed to find the gate locked. Rachael biked off past the guard station to poke around while I was tending to business and discovered that it went through if you’re on bike.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
On rolling, delightful Colossal Caves Road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rincon Peak peeks through a gap in the ridge below Colossal Caves.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I remembered how great this road is, but I’d forgotten that the rugged land around Colossal Cave is so spectacular.
Heart 3 Comment 0
From the lookout at the Collosal Cave parking lot, looking north along Old Spanish Trail. This is the primary route cars take to get here. Saguaro National Park is off about fifteen miles in that direction. We’ve ridden up here twice from that direction too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ocotillo fence, Colossal Cave.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There was/is a crested saguaro up on that hill to the right. Rachael’s pointing in the right direction, but we can’t spot it this time. Troubling.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re pretty sure it used to be in here. I’ll have to look at the older photo to see if it lines up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here’s the shot from last winter. I think we’re looking in the same spot, but maybe not. If we’re out here again before we leave we’ll have another look.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We bike the twelve miles back to Julian Wash without stopping, but for this once when I pull over and grab Rachael’s camera for a panoramic shot. For a mile or two there’s a great wide view of the whole Catalina and Rincon ranges.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back on Julian Wash again. Looks pretty much like it did when we went the other way, except this time I’m pretty sure there’s a blue-grey gnatcatcher hiding in there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Again? So is this going to be a daily occurrence now, Kelly? Nice that I remembered to ask you to lift your sun visor back so we can see your face this time.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Desert plant of the day: Palo Verde. There are two species local here: Blue and Foothills. I’m pretty sure this is a Blue Palo Verde. Also, reading up on this I was surprised to learn it’s a flowering tree, with lovely yellow blossoms that come out in the spring. We really should stay around to see the desert in the spring some year.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Video sound track: Desperate Man Blues, by John Fahey

Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI did not know the name of Thomas Jay park, either! I think of it as the potty stop on Craycroft. A side note is that all of the workers at the maintenance facility there drive red pick up trucks. I've seen as many as four, but typically three. I keep thinking I should photo them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Ride stats today: 43 miles, 1,700’; for the tour: 798 miles, 29,400’

____________________

2023 Bird List

     Nothing new to report.

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 749 miles (1,205 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Keith AdamsI love Desperate Man Blues.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsA Fahey fan? I loved his music. Surprisingly, he ended his days in Salem, where we worked before moving to Portland. I got to hear him perform live in a small pub there maybe 20 years ago.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonFahey, Kottke, and my brother are my three favorite guitar players. Not necessarily in that order.

Fahey made his start in my area: Takoma Records, the label he helped found, is named for Takoma Park MD where he lived for a while.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes, I knew about him and Takoma Park and wondered if you had a regional connection in your past.

I’ve heard two of these three live. If we’re in the area maybe you could get your brother over for a house concert.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonOur only connection is that we each lived in the DC area, but never at the same time.

Sadly my brother has all but stopped playing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago