Urban Riding - Wine And Beaches - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2024

Urban Riding

Gawler to Mawson Lakes

Turns out concrete is a good base for sleeping on, even if it is a bit hard on the knees when crawling around inside the tent. I didn't hurry in the morning. I knew it was going to be a tedious day: a head wind along the Stuart O'Grady Bikeway beside the M2 and then a zig-zaggy route through the suburbs to Mawson Lakes where Roger, bless his little chauffeuring heart, would pick me up and take me home because why sleep in a tent when you can sleep in a real bed? And because we had appointments in Adelaide tomorrow and my tour had to fit messily around them.

I exited the Gawler Caravan Park by cycling around the boom gate without using the code. Nobody saw my act of rebellion and I went on my way without repercussion.

I walked my bike through the centre of Gawler, appreciating all the pretty buildings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And past the ANZAC memorial in Pioneer Park, downtown Gawler.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. What an evocative memorial!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

  There was a little bit of tedious jinking around in the suburbs and then I was on the Stuart O'Grady Bikeway and on my way.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The wind blew gently in my face; traffic rushed past on the Northern Expressway; olive groves, greenhouses, and new subdivisions passed by in rapid rotation.  The path detoured around the Gawler Harness Club, the state of the path testament to the fact that the Harness club used the bikeway as their own personal training route. 

Half way through the morning and making good time I realised that my phone, for reasons best known only to itself, was rapidly losing charge and I risked being set adrift in Adelaide's northern suburbs without a map. Living in a post-paper map world this wouldn't do at all, so I changed course to the closest public library where I spent a couple of hours hoping that I was witnessing merely a temporary glitch and not the death knell of my phone. I even picked up some light reading, as old books were on sale for 20c each. I know I've previously waxed lyrical about not purchasing things due to weight but how could I resist a 20c book (or two, as it turned out)?

 Minor suburban challenges faced me on the way to Mawson Lakes: overpasses with too many steps; little streets that didn't appear on my map; an inconvenient lack of safe places to cross busy roads. The path swapped between quiet roads, cycle paths, and sneaky little gravel paths behind housing developments. I had to keep my wits about me to stay on track.

Heart 2 Comment 0

 Mawson Lakes Interchange appeared as advertised and I busied myself by unloading the bike while I waited for my lift.

Back at 'home' I was greeted with suspicion by the dog, who had decided that he and Roger made a good team and didn't need anyone else. He couldn't sustain the animosity though, being easily bought with treats. We took him for a walk to the cruise ship terminal to watch the Coral Princess leave on its way to Melbourne.

Coral Princess in the wild.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lines cast aside. She's off.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 We finished the outing with a walk on the little beach behind the marina, sending Dog into paroxysms of joy.  He swam in the sea, rolled in the sand, and dug furious holes which the ocean filled as fast as he dug them. He had great fun and earned himself a good hose down and towel dry before he was allowed back into the house.

And that was that for the day. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

Oh all right, just one or two more cruise ship photos.

"Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" Called a voice from the shore. "Oi! Oi! Oi!" replied a chorus from the cruise ship.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goodnight. Have fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gawler to Playford Library.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Playford Library to Mawson Lakes Interchange.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 135 km (84 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0