The Tour Intro - A Wilde Ride In Salzkammergut - May 2022 - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2022

The Tour Intro

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” O.W.

Way back in PPT (pre pandemic time) Kirsten and I came through Salzburg as we were getting near the end of our three month modified EV6 ride (read all about it here). It was mid October 2017 and we had just finished what was probably the most spectacular section of our trip - the Ciclovia Alpe Adria Radweg, aka the CAAR route, from Grado to Salzburg.

We were headed back to Frankfurt  for our eventual flight home and were making up the remainder of the trip in almost day by day increments. Our thinking at that time was that we had more or less seen everything we wanted to, so we changed our flights, brought them forward by a week and spent our final week meandering back to Frankfurt. It was a wonderfully chilled-out end to a great trip. We were at peace with ourselves.

It turns out though that we had suffered from Rumsfeldian thinking … the dreaded curse of the “unknown unknowns”.

Turn the pages forward a few years to September 2021. Team Anderson is winding their way south through Germany, doing in reverse portions of our trip from 2017. We’re reading along, vicariously traveling. Ahh, Dinklesbuhl… yes we remember that … beautiful. Now they’re in Salzburg   And about to start the CAAR route. This will be good.

But wait. They didn’t start the CAAR right away. Instead they headed a few km’s east of Salzburg to this funny sounding region called Salzkammergut….. and it looked stunning!

Now we were suffering from the even worse Rumsfeldian affliction of having Known Unknowns. This beautiful area was right beside us in 2017, we could have easily spent a week lapping it up, and we just blew right through, knowing nothing about it. Aaaarrrggg!

Well, the pages turned a little more to the present. I had a seminar that I needed to attend in Munich during the first week of May. Munich’s only a couple of hours from Salzburg by train so we decided that K would come along, we’d add a few days onto the trip and take a ride in the Salzkammergut.

We could only afford a week due to other commitments in late May, and our timing was tight for planning and getting our logistics sorted out. That’s when the brilliant plan (or lame and lazy, your pick) was hatched to more or less (and as you read it will lean very heavily to ‘more’) … do what Team Anderson did.

We arrived in Munich on Wednesday, 4th May, seminar’d away, and then on Friday, got a ride to Salzburg  with Rado, a Slovakian IBU colleague who was also at the event. Super sweet .. thank you Rado! A day of logistics awaits on Saturday and then we ride!

We ended up booking a hotel that was recommended to us by another IBU colleague who lives in Salzburg , Hotel Hofwirt. It was a block away from where we stayed in 2017, and from the look of the Team Anderson GPS breadcrumb trail, we think it’s the same hotel they were in. Pure coincidence. We can’t say the same thing about where we ate dinner 😬!

To paraphrase what Oscar said in today’s title ……. We are flattering them!

We’re back … after 2 1/2 years!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsNice embellishment on the overhead signs. O.W. would be proud.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodTo Keith AdamsGood spotting Keith. He’d probably could only be half as proud as me … and only because I managed to edit a photo on an iPad. I’m feeling like a technology wizard right now!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ahh yes … Salzburg. This time in spring.
Heart 2 Comment 0
…… does this look familiar?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Finally something original from us. The first bottle on the wine list was this …. Made by our friends Andrea and Maria Chiara in Sirmione. We stayed with them and toured their winery on our 2019 CPH to Lecce trip.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooNice coincidence!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Thanks Oscar…. I’ll be using that tip!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonA week in the Salzkammergut in the spring? The rivers will be raging and there be snow on the peaks, I imagine. Great to see you back on the road again. And yup, Hofwirt’s the hotel. If/when we go back we’d stay there again ourselves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonGlad to see you back on tour. Have a wonderful time!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael,

It’s so good to be back in Europe on a bike, even if only for a few days. We almost certainly have another copy-cat tour brewing in the Grenoble area. We bypassed that in 2018 and stuck to the Via Rhonda. Once again you’re showing us what we missed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott,

We’ll be watching for quickly rising water. So far so good even though it’s been raining the last few days. So green, so rural, so dramatic … and we’ve just started!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Lyle McLeodYou should check out Annecy which we was even better than Grenoble!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago