Day 5 - Mondsee to Slazburg - A Wilde Ride In Salzkammergut - May 2022 - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2022

Day 5 - Mondsee to Slazburg

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― O. W.

We could have called this day ‘throw back Thursday’. It started off in the morning as we were climbing out of Mondsee. As usual there were a number of other ‘experienced’ cyclists out for their morning rides and the first three we see are on meat-bikes (i.e powered by muscle fibre only). This trend continued on for the rest of the day into Salzburg. It may not seem like much, but up to this point well over 90% of the cyclist we’ve seen have been on e-bikes - this includes all ages, not just ‘experienced’ folks like us. Over all we estimated todays e to meat ratio at about 3:2. There’s obviously something different about the Mondsee area!

The other throwback item was that we were on our own for setting a route! Crafty Team Anderson, either through omission or commission, didn’t have a GPS track for this day in their blog, so there was nothing for us to blatantly copy! However they left enough clues in their write up that I think we were able to cobble together a reasonable facsimile of their route. If not, it was still a great route with a mixture of paved and gravel trails through farmland and forests. The last 10 km’s into Salzburg were a retrace of day 1 and everything came off without a hitch. We had a bit of a headwind and it was mostly overcast and only ‘warm’ not hot like yesterday.

While still very pretty, the scenery today was not nearly as dramatic and ‘photo mandatory’ as the last few days were. As a result, there are far fewer pictures of today’s ride …. And we made it into Salzburg just as the hotel check in time opened up.

The only thing left for us to do was to return the bikes to Radsport Wagner, a short 2 km ride away. For anyone looking to rent bikes in Salzburg, we would recommend them. Very low key and helpful staff, excellent bikes (both were very new Specialized hybrids) and only €200 for both bikes for the 5 days!  

The last bit of personalized service they offered was to tell us about the Mulln brewery and beer garden about 400 m down the road. What a great place for our trip ending daily brew!!

The last little throwback item came when Kirsten got a ‘Facebook memory’ ….. of me heading off on my final ride to work 7 years ago today! It had totally slipped my mind, and it certainly does not seem like seven years ago that I retired. No regrets though, lots of adventures like this have filled the time.

We finished off the day with a celebratory dinner at what we thought was a new place that M Michelin had recommended, Pan e Vin. Turns out that when we got there we remembered that it was the same place we dined when we came though Salzburg in October 0f 2017 during our EV6(ish) trip! So, our memories are getting spotty, but is was yet again a great meal and a wonderful way to end this short copy-cat trip.

Thanks to all the CB folks who write up their travels here. They provide inspiration, insight and in some cases (ahem) full itineraries  for others to put together their own trips.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The morning send off shot in front of St. Michaels Bailika
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mondsee in the morning
Heart 3 Comment 0
Best thing about the Basilka …. A kids area where K could wait for me. She really does not enjoy wandering around thee places!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Baslika
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still in the basilika
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading north of Mondsee to the northern end of Irsee. Schafburgspitz still dominating the southern skyline
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rural bike route traffic jam
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now heading south to Wallersee and eventually Salzburg
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunch spot along the Wallersee. One of TA’s route breadcrumbs from their daily write up!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The final stretch into Salzburg retracing our steps
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’re done!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stunning view of Salzburg on a hot afternoon!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bikes returned! Thanks Radsport Wagner
Heart 2 Comment 1
Marjory SwordGood photo to have for future reference!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And we’re heading off for our final post ride bevy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Have to love a brewery with a large (filled) bike parking lot!
Heart 3 Comment 0
That’s it. Catch you on the next trip!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 229 km (142 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonSorry that map seems to have disappeared, but you found the right route of course - and even the right lunch stop! Sorry to see your tour end, we were enjoying reminiscing. Are you sure you can’t stay another week and bike south to Italy?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodOooh that’s tempting! If we did, we would have continued to follow your route and cut west at Udine … that’s still on our (ever endless) list! Continued safe travels on the rest of your trip. We’re both very interested to see how the UK portion turns out (reminiscing for us!)
Thanks for following along and providing the breadcrumbs.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago