The Route - No, Not That Wellington - CycleBlaze

The Route

We don't get invited to many weddings.

Most of our close friends are back in Alberta since we just moved to Ottawa a few years ago. It was quite the surprise to see a save the date come in from one of Mel's old high school friends. She had fleeting contact with this friend over the past decade, they had come to Ottawa once and spent some time with us, but it was still a surprise. We were happy for them, and marked out the date in our calendars, but if it was in Alberta there's no chance of us making it.

The invitation arrived.

Where in the world is Wellington?

If you Google Wellington, you'll probably get the Capital of New Zealand, or the thousands of streets in Ontario named Wellington (including the one that our Parliament buildings are on), and then maybe, just maybe you'll get Wellington, Ontario.

Prince Edward County in Ontario, and a bit more to provide some context
Heart 0 Comment 0

Did that image help? Probably not.

We zoomed out some more and found that it's about 280km southwest of Ottawa. Hey, that's pretty convenient for us! We can take the train to Belleville, and then take a cab down or rent a car. Neat.

Or.

What if we bike down?

We could take 3 days and bike down. People keep saying Prince Edward County is a great place for cycling. Well why not? Last year we did a 7 day tour on a tandem through PEI and that went well, why wouldn't this?

Through OpenCycleMaps and Twitter friends, we mapped out our three days.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Day 2 looked the most gruelling by far. Over 100km, which I had only done thrice, and Mel once. Pretty hilly, but nothing too steep from the map. Probably about 30km of gravel at the end going into Kingston, and some questionable back roads that were recommended on Twitter. But, Day 1 looks easy and Day 3 looks like fun. I was dreading day 2. 

After the wedding we would bike to Belleville and rent a car to pack the bikes in and come home. It was going to be costly, but worth it just simply for the talking point at the wedding.

"Yeah we biked here. No, from Ottawa."

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0