The Gear - No, Not That Wellington - CycleBlaze

The Gear

How much can you carry on a Brompton?

To be honest, I'm still not sure.

We both had front luggage mounts which would fit a variety of expensive proprietary bags, of which we had a T-Bag and a Folding Bag. 

We both did not have rear racks which could have fit a small expensive proprietary container.

What we did have, was a lot of seat post.

We were a bit unsure how a saddlebag would work on the Brompton, but there was definitely room for it. There was some discussion on some various online forums that questioned if the weight of the saddlebag would stress the seat post in a way it wasn't designed for. Maybe that's true. Maybe not. It's not like we're carrying rocks, let's go for it.

 

Loaded up
Heart 0 Comment 0

The front bags have a weight limit of 10 kg, and we didn't want to put too much in the saddlebags. We didn't bring very much:

  • Wedding Clothes
  • 2 Jerseys, 2 Shorts Each
  • 2 T-Shirts, 3 Underwear, 3 Pairs of Socks, 1 Pair of Casual Shorts
  • Rain Jackets
  • 3 750ml Water Bottles
  • Toiletries Bag, First Aid Bag, Sunscreen, etc.
  • Mel's Art Supplies
  •  4 Granola Bars, 3 Packages of Skratch Hydration Chews
  • Wallet, IDs

[Note: I don't have a comprehensive list of everything we brought, this will be something to do for the next tour!]

The weight of the T-Bag was the only real concern. It ended up weighing around 9 kg. The wedding clothes really took up a lot of space, and water is heavy.

As you can see in the picture above, I took the T-Bag and Mel took the Folding Bag and the Saddlebag. The thought being the combined weight would be greater for Mel, but she has 6 gears and a reduced chainring, so it would be easier on her knees.

Jumping to where we left the last post off at, it's about 6pm the night before we have to leave and we have very little packed. But, the bikes are functional and clean (after I spend an intimate hour with mine in our shower), and spirits are high.

We're quickly packed and work on getting Toby ready for his drop off in the morning. Complicating matters a bit, is our friend who is dog-sitting lives across the city and we don't have a car. So we've (Read: Mel) retrofit an older child bike trailer for Toby. Pictures to come in the next entry. Basically we just got his food and toys ready and he was good to go.

Mel did a double check on our first B&B that we were going to, and then we tried to sleep. 

Somewhat successfully.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0