To the Bug Zoo and Fisherman's Wharf - Grampies and the Waddling Dog Summer 2016 - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2016

To the Bug Zoo and Fisherman's Wharf

Karyn and Erhard are great gardeners, so early morning at their place has a special quality. Here are Amelia and Karyn out in the garden.

With Karyn in the garden
Heart 0 Comment 0

Some flowers got "inadvertently" picked, but no matter, they were enshrined in water.

oops, who picked these?
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Karyn's we headed over the Galloping Goose trail into downtown Victoria. it is a real pleasure when things are designed specifically for cyclists. Here the Goose crosses the otherwise unpleasant Trans Canada Highway.

Crossing the Trans Canada
Heart 0 Comment 0

And here it uses an old railway trestle across the Inner Harbour.

The Selkirk trestle
Heart 0 Comment 0

Industrial activity in the harbour interested the kids a lot.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The Galloping Goose is a very successful bike way. Here a counter shows 1824 users today, and it is just about 9:30 a.m.!

Heart 0 Comment 0

We love to see businesses that cater to cyclists, and in turn business that can attribute their success to cycle traffic. The "Fol Epi" bakery is one such business. How totally pleasant to have a top quality bakery sitting right off the bike path. What a wonderful quality of life when you can silently and safely head over to a place, and sit in the sun (or shade) with a quality coffee and/or pastry!

(p.s. The owner says Fol Epi is French for "Wild Bread". That is totally news to us. French friends - does that make any sense to you?)

At the entrance to the Fol Epi
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Poodle/Golden Retriever cross was a big hit at the bakery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fol Epi is one of the few real bakeries in Victoria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Fol Epi, Life is Good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making real bread is hard work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys provided the girls with lots of entertainment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I collected one more interesting manhole cover for my photo collection
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Victoria, the Coho ferry leaves for Port Angeles, in the U.S.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One view of Victoria
Heart 0 Comment 0

Aside from the Fol Epi, the big attraction for us in Victoria was the Bug Zoo. This small but interesting place features mostly stick insects, leaf insects, tarantulas, roaches, and beetles. A good feature is that they will take them out, demonstrate that they are not harmful (in the cases when that is true), and sometimes let you hold them. With spiders, particularly, I am not on board. But Evee, too young to hold a Tarantula was fine with patting a discarded skin. By the way, the reason kids can not hold them is that they are delicate and could get seriously hurt if dropped.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Buggy re-entry stamps
Heart 0 Comment 0
Photography adds enjoyment for young as well as old
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the cast off skin of a tarantula
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amelia gets a close look
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stick insects
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaf insects
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uggh, Either you can do this or you can't!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evee can!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making insect pictures
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amelia's
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amelia considers a cockroach!
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you look closely you see she is carrying a baby. These are not actually good mothers, that kid is just hanging on there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evee's bug picture
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our final stop was at Fisherman's Wharf, where we went specifically to see if any seals were about. The place has grown hugely popular with tourists, and seals come around for handouts. Also, some of the best ice cream in town is to be found here. Actually, it is the milkshakes I like best. I watched closely and noted that nine, yes nine, scoops of ice cream went into my milkshake, plus a full cup of milk and lots of chocolate syrup. Dodie was not too impressed by my nine scoop figure. She seemed to think it was excessive. How silly. Anyway, back to the seals:

Looking for seals
Heart 0 Comment 0
My camera is capable of making something like a drawing out of a photo. It seems a good fit for this view of the touristy Fisherman's Wharf.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ice cream at the Wharf is serious stuff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ah, the seal has put in an appearance. An otter came by as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I am afraid that was pretty much it for this cycle adventure. We are already thinking about where to go next year. Maybe somewhere in Quebec?

The Weehoo was all new to Evee on this trip, and she handled it wonderfully, showing how much difference a year makes. Both kids also picked up real cameras for the first time. Shortly I will check out their shots, and make two more pages for the best ones from each photographer.

But for now it's jusqu'à la prochaine fois...

This seal's satisfied expression seems to sum up how we feel about this bike trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0