Day 28 - Moose Lake - Viking Quest ~ 2023 - CycleBlaze

Day 28 - Moose Lake

Day 28 - Hinckley, Pine City then Moose Lake

Weather:  very cloudy and cool, guessing low 50s at start.   Then, sun with a comfortable breeze.

The St. Croix Scenic Byway (61) was the route for a large chunk today; wide shoulders and low traffic.   Not to many turns on the stretch, like that.  

A series of trails connected as well to make for a relaxing cruise into Hinckley and unto Moose Lake City Campground.

One of two highlights of the day (GEMs) came within a hour of leaving Rush City, MN.   A grey-haired cyclist guy wearing wool gloves, beanie, down jacket and shorts, flagged me down on the side of road.  He was riding a stunning red/white Raleigh steel road bike.

He said stop, where are you heading?  I told him and the conversation began as cars passed by.  Richard said he cycled the world and just came home to, "live out the rest of his life in town."

He said, you look European with your biked dressed out like that; I was humbled by his that comment.   Heck, maybe I look better than I think I do.  

We had a great conversation about traveling by bike, ticks, and West Nile Virus.

Richard knew a lot about the Norwegian culture and also spoke some.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Anyway, before we said goodbye, we exchanged gifts.  He went first. Reaching in his bag, he said I want you to have this.  He pulled out a sip lock bag with this wooden stringed duck looking toy.

It took it out and demonstrated how it worked and said "here." How cool!  He made it!  He said I could give it to s kid or keep it.  We touched fists, I said I'll keep it.

I gave him a Viking Compass patch and he said thank you.   Off we went out sperate ways.  Amazing!

My other highlight of the day was visiting the Hinckley Museum and learning about the 1894 fire storm that left 418 dead, and the town of Hinckley and I think five others - north of Hinckley burned to the ground.   The movie said Hinckley burned in minutes.  People ran to the river and lakes to save themselves; 295 boarded trains and fled.  (Google it.)

Note: This sounded like the recent wildfire in Maui, where the town was burned in minutes and people fled to the sea!

This museum is nicely done...the movie is very educational
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hinckley Main Street
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tibet:  The Casino in Hinckley has a campground, but I was there to early to check it out; must keep moving...

Some images from the road/trail...

Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Lakeside camp spot tonight with a campfire....my house boat is docked nearby in case we want to party!!!

Moose Lake - Viking Quest 2023
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 667 miles (1,073 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Tamora StumNice Fire Hubby!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago