Day 25 - 26 - Minneapolis - Viking Quest ~ 2023 - CycleBlaze

Day 25 - 26 - Minneapolis

Back Home in Minneapolis

Viking Quest Journal Entry - 11:55 pm, Sept. 7, 2023
Heart 3 Comment 0
Art is everywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Day 25 - Sun Country Airlines back to Minneapolis and my Warmshowers hosts Nita and Brian.   

What a welcome back to town!  Nita met me at the front door of their home with a big smile....I felt I was family.

We immediately sat on the sofa and started chatting.  Then we had dinner, chatted some more and then watched a German "detective" movie, with American subtitles.   During the evening we did take a few minutes to discuss Viking 3, the next leg of my tour which begins Saturday.   

* Oh, forgot something very important....Brian gave me a "Minnesota-grown Apple" out of his own private stock.   It was so delicious!!!  Thanks Brian!  

(NOTE: Brian and I were talking previously about my disappointed in apples - they all taste like cardboard.  Brian knows all about apples and says the best apples originate in Minnesota.  I think he might be right.)

The evening was so much fun; finally got to my private bedroom at 11 pm.  

Day 26 - Nita and Brian took me on an outstanding VIP bicycle tour of Minneapolis.   It was much fun seeing the city by bicycle.  Nita and Brian are proud of there cities and live to share it; I felt fortunate to have them escort me around on such a perfect day.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The tour included a lot of cool bridges and views of the Great  Mississippi River.  The Mississippi layout is unique here, said Brian, because it includes a series of locks and dams designed to protect marine life.  There is no ship or barge traffic between the to cities.  

The uniqueness of the river design has left the factories along the river's bank abandoned and/or being reclaimed as new construction like condos.

One such area is an old mill site where an explosion and fire occurred.  The new construction of condos and a museum sit behind what is left of the original stone  walls.  

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The tour was connected by a lot of trails, streets and the Greenway "bicycle expressway" that was so cool.   One street we road down had these miniature replicas of buildings from the past.  Very impressively done.

These were sitting on the sidewalk on brick columns.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Look at the detail!
Heart 2 Comment 0

There were many highlights along the tour, one that caught my eye was the U.S. Bank Stadium - Home of the Minnesota Vikings.  The Viking Quest Tour felt right at home here.

The stadium sits behind this replica of a Viking Ship
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great selfie of the Vikings - Nita, Brian and me.... Vikings forever!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Here are some other sites from what was an epic day with my Viking friends - thank you so very, very much guys!

Mary Tyler Moore statue in downtown. Google it!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Prince is honored in Minneapolis
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our tour passed through a somber place too, the street where George Floyd tragically lost his life.  I can't express I felt .... It was strange seeing the location in person.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tomorrow the Viking 3 will begin. I will leave my friends and head north to Lake Superior....thank you again Nita and Brian!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 544 miles (875 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0