White Bridges to Buchan-Orbost Road - High Country Victoria - CycleBlaze

White Bridges to Buchan-Orbost Road

28 January - 3 February 2023

You can do a loop out of Bairnsdale like I did, but you need to be completely self-sufficient and have a way to treat water. No services. Only camping areas with drop  toilets and picnic tables are at Marthavale Hut and Deptford. Many informal sites and lots of places you can wander off into the bush to camp, though this area has been impacted by the 19/20 fires and regrowth is very thick in some places. Have to drop off the ridges where the main logging roads run to source water.

White Bridges - informal campsite off of the road down to Swifts Creek - get water from the downstream side of the culvert under the road. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bruthen - small general store, takeaway/coffee shop, pub with accommodation, brewery (for sale), good bakery, post office, antiques, visitor info centre, honey shop that sells other local goods and has small cafe.  Caravan park is cheap and has clean but old amenities block, great camp kitchen and shelter area with open fire - can also charge phone in there (was invited to do so by caretaker). 

Junction of Tambo and Timbarra Rivers  - small informal camping area here with no shade. Area can flood. No services. Must treat the water. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Costicks Weir - about 6 kms west of Nowa Nowa  recently refurbished area with two sites, one picnic table and drop toilet. Signposted off rail trail. There is a creek and small weir, but not sure I’d treat and drink that water, especially since it is easy to fill water in Bruthen or Nowa Nowa.  Plenty of places to wild camp in the state forest.

Nowa Nowa - small general store at petrol station. Some fresh fruit and veg available. Some pies and sausage rolls in a warmer. No hot food otherwise. Some frozen meals are available in freezer. Water refill station. Two caravan parks, both expensive. Pub is currently closed.  Plenty of places outside of town that you can wild camp. 

Pirelli’s Crossing on Rail Trail - Drop toilets, shelter and picnic table.

Waygara - wild camping in open area where old saw mill was. Need to be self-sufficient as this isn’t even an informal campsite.  There are no good places to camp further up Ostlers Road.

Buchan - Orbost Road - some tracks lead away from the main road and there are other potential spots to camp just off the road as it climbs the Tara Range. I camped in a roadside gravel dump area by the creek at the base of this climb. No vehicle passed after 7 pm.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 277 km (172 miles)
Total: 1,008 km (626 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0